Plumbing Merchants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a string of horrendous experiences in various plumber's merchants, I've decided that apart from emergency purchases, I'm going to get all my stock online from now on.

I don't know if I'm alone but here are a few of my recent experiences :

Plumbase - Need a Mira Element shower ASAP for a job. Ring the branch. "Yep we've got one in stock". Spend 20 mins driving down to branch. Spend another 15 mins waiting for them to find it. Turns out they haven't got one. Spend 20 mins driving to another job.

Fine, ring my customer back, apologise, rebook the job for the morning.

Go back to branch to collect newly ordered shower. Wait for 10 mins to get served. Spend another 10 mins while they check the mornings delivery. Shower hasn't been ordered. Ring customer and try and convince them I really do this for a living.

Livid.

Another thing I can't stand is rolling the dice every time I buy something because I've got no idea what "terms" I've been set up on. I once popped into a branch of Grahams about 50 miles from my home town. I needed about £100.00 worth of 2" pipe and fittings. After the manager spent what seemed like eternity punching away at his keyboard and ringing my local branch, it turned out they could only sell me the materials for £185.00+VAT, so it all went back on the shelf.

I could use Toolstation I suppose but some of their fittings are a bit iffy and I wouldn't trust them.

Can anyone recommend a decent online outlet? I think I might just start stocking my garage with materials so I'm not so dependent on others!

Sponsored Links
After a string of horrendous experiences in various plumber's merchants, I've decided that apart from emergency purchases, I'm going to get all my stock online from now on.

I don't know if I'm alone but here are a few of my recent experiences :

Plumbase - Need a Mira Element shower ASAP for a job. Ring the branch. "Yep we've got one in stock". Spend 20 mins driving down to branch. Spend another 15 mins waiting for them to find it. Turns out they haven't got one. Spend 20 mins driving to another job.

Fine, ring my customer back, apologise, rebook the job for the morning.

Go back to branch to collect newly ordered shower. Wait for 10 mins to get served. Spend another 10 mins while they check the mornings delivery. Shower hasn't been ordered. Ring customer and try and convince them I really do this for a living.

Livid.

Another thing I can't stand is rolling the dice every time I buy something because I've got no idea what "terms" I've been set up on. I once popped into a branch of Grahams about 50 miles from my home town. I needed about £100.00 worth of 2" pipe and fittings. After the manager spent what seemed like eternity punching away at his keyboard and ringing my local branch, it turned out they could only sell me the materials for £185.00+VAT, so it all went back on the shelf.

I could use Toolstation I suppose but some of their fittings are a bit iffy and I wouldn't trust them.

Can anyone recommend a decent online outlet? I think I might just start stocking my garage with materials so I'm not so dependent on others!

While Toolstation is very good, some of their Plumbing items are great value.

Your problem is national merchants, they're always rubbish, staffed by poorly trained low paid people & run by Accountants, so they have limited stock.

Always use an independent Plumbers' Merchants, friendly helpful staff & stocked to the rafters. Oh they may be a couple of quid dearer, but you pay for good service.
HTH

Sponsored Links
I find BES good. Seem to have most things in stock and cheaper than local. Normally next day delivery.

Back