Plumbing problem never getting solved!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any plumbers or installers reading this suggest how I get the following problem solved? I won’t mention names.

Seven months ago I had an upstairs bathroom installation done by a one-man business with a shop (ie showroom) in the nearest town. He gave me a “Guild of Master Craftsmen” certificate stamped with the name of the shop. The man arranged two lads to come round, they installed the suite, all went well and I paid the man in the shop. In September, the concealed cistern failed (continuous flushing) while I was away on holiday. That’s after only seven months’ use. I shut down the isolation valve to the cistern and contacted the man in the shop, asking for the siphon to be replaced. (It’s a Macdee dual flush siphon in the cistern, built-in below a shelf, not very easy access. I can barely see it though I can feel it.)

After a couple of weeks of fobbing me off (“busy right now, I’ll let you know when”), the man from the shop came, saw the problem for himself and agreed to order in a new siphon. He clearly was not a plumber himself. A week later, when I phoned up to ask when he’d get it installed, he said the plumber was pretty busy with other jobs, he’d get back to me. He didn’t. Every other day I phoned up and asked reasonably, when would the plumber come? Two weeks later, eventually a plumber did turn up. He saw the problem, decided the siphon was faulty and agreed to install the one ordered by the shop the next day on his way home from work. A ten minute job, he said.

I heard nothing more until I phoned up the shop two days later, asking what had happened. The man said he’d ordered in the wrong siphon, the correct one would come in a week. Nobody had bothered to let me know!

Four weeks after that and I’m still waiting. I have to talk directly to the plumber now and he has the replacement siphon, presumably in his van. He asks me to remind him at 10am about the siphon job and when I do, either he’s too busy, working on jobs thirty miles away allocated by the man in the shop, or jobs have gone wrong and priority lies there, or he says he’ll call me later. But he never does. The one day he said he was working actually in my village and he didn’t turn up, he said afterwards he was sorry but he’d forgotten all about me, would I phone him at 10am tomorrow……

I’m making all the phone calls. Neither the man in the shop nor the plumber contacts me off his own bat. I realise they’re not interested, only want to do new jobs, not repairs to faulty workmanship, but I think I have a case. I paid good money for a complete bathroom suite and I expect it to last at least a year without problems.

Time to end “Mr Nice Guy” routine now. I could drive to the shop next week (it’s often closed, let’s hope this time it isn’t) and ask the man in person if he’d rather I got some other plumber to do the repair and then I send him the bill. Would that stir him into action? I need to know how these guys think.

What else can I do?

Sponsored Links
Threaten him with either getting the job done by someone else and billing him or Trading Standards.

Firstly you have to realise that things do go wrong sometimes, cars, TVs and plumbing.

My own WC sometimes locks up and carries on filling.

As a one man business he btrades on his reputation and should be very concerned about his customers. I suspect he is just overcome with the day to day running of his business.

I would suggest a "nice" letter giving the dates and saying that you have been patient for so long but you do really need him to send someone to correct it. Nicely suggest that if he is really too busy to get it repaired withing the next 14 days then you will have to call someone else and will be expecting him to refund the cost of that.

You probably have an 85% chance of him responding. But there are a very few who really take on more than they can manage. In that case just get someone else to sort it out.

Dont make any threats at this stage!

Tony

PS
Its always better for us to consider these problems if we have an idea of the total cost of the work. If its a £3000 bathroom then you expect a quicker service than if its a basic £450 job!

Sponsored Links
In that case I take the view that he should have been round pretty quickly to sort it out.

That aftersales service is not whats expected for a £5000 bathroom!

Do as I suggested and if that does not work then tell us the shop's name and engage someon else.

Even for fun telephone him and say that you now have to call someone to fix it and ask whom he would recommend!

Tony

He gave me a “Guild of Master Craftsmen” certificate stamped with the name of the shop.

I once had a dispute with a business displaying a trade guild logo. A fraud squad detective had an interest and he suggested I take it up with the standards department of the trade guild. They weren't members. :LOL:

A nice letter, say please, ask for completion by a set date a week or so away or else you'll be obliged to get another contractor. If no action get another plumber and send him the bill, with another nice letter. If no action, see the Money claim on-line County Court summons thingy, but send another nice letter telling him you'll issue a summons after 14 days. After 14 days, summons.

Thanks for all your useful and helpful replies guys. However the problem has now been solved.

The man from the shop actually phoned me just before lunch, said he couldn't get hold of the plumber (I couldn't either this morning when I did my usual phone-in before 10am) and said he'd come round to do it himself, once he'd worked out how to install the siphon (!). Pang of conscience, perhaps? Or had he been reading this forum this morning over a cup of coffee and guessed who I was talking about? Since he now had the siphon, not the plumber, I wonder what had really happened.

Anyway, he came round here ten minutes ago, apologised for the long delay, fitted the siphon and it all works OK now. He left me the old one plus the box and printed instructions should I ever have to remove/replace the new siphon myself in the future.

I'm happy now. Thanks again for reading the thread and all your input.

Firstly you have to realise that things do go wrong sometimes, cars, TVs and plumbing.
|I think he does realise this

My own WC sometimes locks up and carries on filling.

None of mine do!

I suspect he is just overcome with the day to day running of his business.
Or he doesn't give a toss

I would suggest a "nice" letter giving the dates and saying that you have been patient for so long but you do really need him to send someone to correct it. Nicely suggest that if he is really too busy to get it repaired withing the next 14 days then you will have to call someone else and will be expecting him to refund the cost of that.

At this stage I would be a little sterner

You probably have an 85% chance of him responding.

LOL. From what book of stats did this come?

If its a £3000 bathroom then you expect a quicker service than if its a basic £450 job!

Rollocks. You only charge £84 on the odd day you go out. Does that mean your clients don't desrve good service?

I try to only go to deserving clients.

The lovely Itallian woman who wanted a service today for example!

regardless of cost, you only find out how good your plumber is when something goes worng with the job he has just done.

i dont advertise, no name on my van. i work all year round, my jobs are word of mouth, recommendation only. if i go back, i go back once and put it right at my expense. my successs rate is 99.99% not bad for 25 years

no fancy showrooms, no staff, sometimes the one man band IS the answer. we have too much to lose!

I try to only go to deserving clients.

The lovely Itallian woman who wanted a service today for example!

:D yea, if you say so, Tone. Itialinos dont wear Saris, unless they are playing dressing games.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back