Why are some plumbers such a let down ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can honestly speak from experience here. I have up to now had 4 plumbers over time who have said they will call and not turn up. No explanation. I have even had 2 different (both very nice people, one recommended by friends they have used for years) men who arranged to fit a small radiator in the kitchen. The first cancelled probably around 20-30 times (This is no exaggeration: his wife would text me and say he was either called out on emergency or just couldn't make it as another job was overunning) After a while I decided to suggest I better try someone else as he was so busy. She was fine with it and always apologetic. I got the friend's plummer round who again, a very nice bloke. Measured up and said would get back with quote. Days, weeks went by and Nothing. I emailed. No reply. Text. No reply. I then phoned him and asked if he had got the rad and also a price for the job. He just said "no, I haven't" and told me he would ring me later as he was in a shop. Ok I thought. days went by. Nothing. more emails and text (he had previously responded via these methods) Nothing. I then went back to the first guy who's wife seemed to sympathize with our situation and said she would get him round and arranged a time. He didn't turn up or phone to say he will be late or not able to come. Then the same pattern started to happen again and I gave up.

Over a year down the line and no kitchen rad. You see, I am patient and very understanding of sudden urgent jobs taking priority, personal problems etc but when the person cannot be bothered to take the time to email, text or even phone it's a very bad show.

I know there will be decent plumbers here with manners and courtesy but my confidence in plumbers is pretty shot at I am afraid. It's not as if I was getting them to do it as a favor. Money would have changed hands. In these hard times I would have thought every job would count.

Sponsored Links
Hi Marb really sorry that you have been treated like this , cant give you an answer why this has happened, can assure you its not the norm these days as a lot of companies really desperate for work certainly if it was me and I was too busy would have passed the work on to a colleague that I trust, have a look at some of the posters on here that are in your area and see if they can do it or if they can recommend someone that can, failing that log on to the gas safe register and enter your post code in the find an installer section that will give you all the registerd installers near you but please note a plumber wouldnt have to be gas safe registered to install a radiator , good luck , Ian

Routine jobs like adding rads should be done in the summer when we are not busy and not at the beginning of the heating season!

Adding a rad is probably one of the least profitable jobs and likely to come up against unexpected problems.

Customers dont help. Just today I had a text about a boiler routine service. When they asked when I could come, I told them that a repair is same day and a service is seven days!

Suddently the perfectly working boiler developed a fault so can I come tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
The problem is that its a small job, and that to make it worth while for us we would have to charge a disproportionate amount of money..so yuu would then be writing a thread about our hgh cost..

Its far more attractive for us to be in one place for three-five days rather than half a day here and there

Our trade has been undermined and trivialised by bigger business interests, and as a society we are driven by return on effort not service to customers

Unfortunately we get picked upon for adopting a business approach, where as big companies are expected to make big returns before giving good service...its called out sourcing...and we all suffer call centres out if the country...we just tolerate them...but never really complain..

ALEC1";p="2543462 said:
The problem is that its a small job, and that to make it worth while for us we would have to charge a disproportionate amount of money..so yuu would then be writing a thread about our hgh cost..

Its far more attractive for us to be in one place for three-five days rather than half a day here and there
ALEC1";p="2543462 said:
But that is no excuse for messing folk around. Not all customers originate from the hot place!

Such a shame the op is in Cheshire. I know a real great worker in the West Midlands who'd probably be able to do it. IronNaz is his name ;)

Of course not...but all of us have experiences of big companies treating us like ****, banks telephone companies, internet providers..they are all at it..

why should we be civil and they not?

(PS if you are civil and stand out it does work well for the small tradesmen!)

and for what its worth I would happily keep the person who invented voice recognition call handling systems a poor service...ever used one of them... they don't even understand english!

Seriously though, a bit of honesty or courtesy now may well be advantageous in the future. One small rad now may lead to a load of referrals or possibly a complete new system in a couple of years, which would mean a 3-5 day placement.

To a point yes, but how loyal are customers to installers... The people who have MBA's long since relized that giving service is not a prerequisite for financial success..

Its a quaint idea that of politeness, but we all know that as the customer generally is not loyal, and there are plenty of them, there is not relly too much need to be particularly servient..

Point well made. However, I know that I tend to use people on recommendation and am happy to refer to others. I am also happy to avoid those who have been discourteous or have let friends, colleagues and acquaintances down.

Its a quaint idea that of politeness, but we all know that as the customer generally is not loyal, and there are plenty of them, there is not relly too much need to be particularly servient..[/quote]

What floats your boat and all that,but I am personally in a happier place when I am civil, and, generally, it is reciprocated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back