Plumbing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I have a duel central heating system solid fuel and oil. we have been using the solid fuel only but got in oil last week but it would not work. It may of had something to do with the big freeze we had here. Well anyway my son told me he heard the tank bubbling in the attic a while ago, and then an hour later by husband told me that the tank was running in the attic and the radiators are all cold. The tank has now been filling for hours, we cant see a leek anywhere, we dont know if there is a burst pipe somewhere if so where could it be as the thaw was only yesterday and we had no problems till now. Please help

Sponsored Links
The tank has now been filling for hours

Don't you think you should go and investigate where the water is going, perhaps turning the water off till the morning even.

I would imagine that the circulating pump isn't working for one reason or another, and that the solid fuel appliance can't disperse the heat in the water so its venting in the loft tank - as its supposed to do.
I think I'd want the oil system back on as soon as possible - at least its immediately controllable, unlike solid fuel.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that the circulating pump isn't working for one reason or another, and that the solid fuel appliance can't disperse the heat in the water so its venting in the loft tank - as its supposed to do.
I think I'd want the oil system back on as soon as possible - at least its immediately controllable, unlike solid fuel.
John :)

HI guys sorry only got back this morning to you, we found the leak last night it was in the boiler house. A pipe burst, the cold water tank was filling the hot water tank in the airing cupboard, but we could not find a leak anywhere in the house. We shut of the water going into the hot water tank for a while last night but had to put it back on as the fire was still lit (its freezing here). My husband is going to get a repair kit till we can get a plumber. Lots of burst pipes over here so they are very busy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back