Plumbing quote... ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just got quoted £1,800 plus vat for my bathroom.

Is is a very small bathroomroom but he would be:

Tiling the wall halfway.
laying plyboard and tiling the floor.
supplying and fitting a new bath suite is nearly the same postion apart from the bath which is getting moved up a few inches.

This is for fitting an tiling and supplying it all.

Is this a decent quote?

Sponsored Links
Well I am not a plumber - just a DIYer - and have done just that more than once.

To me it seems a reasonable quote - I think most of that will be for labour - it is quite time consuming.

A lot depends on what tile/bath you have chosen too - basic, contemporary or ?

Also depends upon how much work your guy is having to do - the more, the longer, the pricier.

basic suite, the existing bath suite is quite old so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Well Heather - he has to remove all the old stuff (and dispose of?) as well as fit the new suite - which will probably not fit exactly where the old bits came out of which will need replumbing. Is the room already tiled? if so, will need removing - maybe he's tiling over the top. Floor needs securing, panelling and tiling.

You said a small room, but if it's big enough to hold a bath, sink and wc, then I guess something like 6x6 feet 'ish. Quite a few tiles to do even so.

As I said before, it seems reasonable - If I was paying someone to do mine (well, if I did before I did my own) that would have been acceptable.

Best thing is to get a couple more quotes and compare - make sure they are quotes and not estimates. Take into account how long they say it will take and if possible use someone who has done some good work for a friend/relative etc.

Don't forget to make alternative arrangements for the length of time it will take them :oops: otherwise :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your advice. I am going to get further quotes and I will need to find out how long it will take. I don't fancy being without my bathroom for long :LOL:

As ever the answer is 'it depends'.
Have you a breakdown of what is material and what is labour?
A quick trip to B & Q or similar will give you an idea of a starting price for cheapish bathroom suites and tiles etc.( Don't forget B & Q prices include VAT)
As for the labour costs - has he given you an idea of how long it will take?

P

I am contacting him later to find out a full breakdown as that is what he was going to give me but I just got a round sum.

He did say the bathroom suite is around £200 which is fine. But yes I do want him to break it down as I could buy tiles etc elsewhere.

In the quote letter it says £1,800 + vat... it seems strange that vat isn't included in that price.

Typical annoying building trade and (sometimes) motor trade practice of quoting prices excluding VAT to domestic customers.
Why? I'm sure it makes sense to them but we just want to know whats the bottom line not do tax calculations....... :?:

From time to time when someone says "that'll be £nn, plus VAT" they mean they want you to pay the £nn - ;) ;) - if you want a receipt then you'll have to pay the VAT - which you must anyway of course.

Do let us know the other quotes you get, and the final price, and how long it took.

If you'd like the guy to do the job, the price is reasonable, get him to do it. If you are uncomfortable about his doing it, get someone else.

If you want him to do it and you start messing about with what each nail costs, don't be surprised if he says "I'll work it out and get back to you". (That's a way of saying "I'm not intrested, play your games with someone else, I've got work to do".)

he did seem a decent plumber... I wouldn't query everything just the bath and tiles as he was going to quote me with those and without.

Thanks for the advice

Now you're getting somewhere. Decide what you want to see as a finished result, and make sure this is what you are going to get. You may have to agree to pay more, BUT if you squeeze the price the quality will suffer, and you have to live with it. Look after the guy who does it, and you should get a good job. If it isn't good, then you will have a stick ready.

Grooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn, you used one nail less than quoted, how much are you knocking off.

"Hope you don't mind, but you'll need access behind that panel to get at the valves etc, so I've fixed it with chrome plated screws. No extra charge, I wouldn't be that vindictive". ;)

Thanks guys,

I got a detailed quote from him:

Suite: £280
Refitting shower: £80
Plywood: £86
Wall tiles 5sqm: £130*
Floor tiles 2.5sqm: £44*
Labour: £650
Labour wall tiles: £280
Labour plywood and boxing in: £250

*(yep I know overpriced, I would buy these elsewhere)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back