Plumbing woe's - 40mm / 43mm pipes & fittings...why?

S

snadge

went to B&Q... got a 1.5m 40mm pipe - got it home only to realise it doesnt fit the 40mm Tee and elbow I got from the local handyman's...? - i look ON the pipe and it has a sticker that says "FLO-PLAST 40mm" but on the pipe itself at bottom is imprinted 43mm - the fittings I have are 40mm

I thought it was all standard 40mm...?

the Elbow and Tee actually have 41mm wrote on them (to take 40mm pipes I assume)

B&Q have sold me a 43mm pipe as a 40mm pipe...

why are there these conflicting sizes? - the old pipe work im replacing is slightly smaller than the pipe but BIGGER than the new fittings??

I honestly feel like theres 3 different sizes going on here 40-43mm

can anybody explain why this is?
do FLOPLAST have their own version of whats 40mm which is actually 43mm so you have to buy all their stuff to fit?

Sponsored Links
haha they all are 1.5" bore but the different manufacturers make the pipe wall thickness different which is what is causing your problem, some are interchangeable but its down to knowing which is and isnt or buying everything from the one place,

haha they all are 1.5" bore but the different manufacturers make the pipe wall thickness different which is what is causing your problem, some are interchangeable but its down to knowing which is and isnt or buying everything from the one place,

yeah ive kinda worked out that you have to stick with same brand throughout aswell, I dunno how i got this floplast rubbish at B&Q - theres none of it on their website under waste plumbing....all marley stuff - so ive wrote a list down of what i need - all MARLEY brand and im taking a bit of old pipe with me to make sure the new 40mm pipe is going to fit into the main outlet

sheesh!!

i cant believe that B&Q charge £10.99 for a 2ft flexi pipe and only knock £1 off for the smaller one half the size (£9.99) - daylight robbery

Universal compression fiittings will marry two different manufacturers' systems together.

Solvent weld uses different sizes to push-fit to stop anyone trying to stick push-fit pipe together with solvent weld fittings. They are made from different plastics, and the adhesive doesn't stick to push-fit pipe

Sponsored Links
ended up getting FloPLast fittings (compression) which DONT FIT this FloPlast 43m pipe so I bought a FloPlast 40mm pipe which worked, Ive since fitted the waste plumbing but it was one HUGE headache.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back