Plume management

D

dextrous

I think I know what you're going to say, but here goes anyway.

Am thinking of putting a car port down the side of my house, which will therefore cover the flue, which is a no-no. Therefore, a plume management kit needs to be fitted to raise the exhaust up and beyond the roof. Is this something I can do myself, ensuring MI's and regs opening clearances are fulfilled or does it have to be an rgi installation?

Be gentle with me :!:

Sponsored Links
Officially, the answer is of course: no.
From a technical point of view, I must admit that IF someone reads and follows the M.I. to the letter, AND makes sure it is all mechanically sound, AND checks the performance afterwards, it is not horrendously difficult.

The one thing that makes it tricky is the influence of the carport which can massively influence the correct working, and that is not something you can check from the manual.

On the whole I would say, don't chance it.
If it is a half decent brand, it won't cost the world to have it done by a pro.
See if you can combine it with a service so the guy doesn't loose too much time coming around for one small thing. I only install WB, which are extremely easy to work on. For one of those, I could probably do it for about £100 if all the rest was ready.
Problem is: you can't judge these things until you have been on site.

bengasman;

I thought they had "clarified this" GSR that is that if a Flue would be illegal without a PMK then a PMK can't be used to overcome the legality they are only used to Manage the plume.

I.e you can't have a flue in a covered car port so you can't use a PMK to overcome this.

Correct me if i am wrong but i am sure since April there has been an article in a GSR Mag and The Gas Installer about this, so this was now my understanding i think they used openable window as there example but its all the same.

[/i]

Thanks Ben. It's a vaillant 837, newly fitted. However, the one key phrase you included was "checks the performance afterwards", which clearly I have neither the equipment nor know how to do.

If the carport is open at both ends, is this likely to create a problem with the air inlet, to the best of your knowledge, and given that you can't actually see the site (side of 3 bed semi, for info). Thanks if you can be bothered to add to your previous response. If not, then thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
bengasman;

I thought they had "clarified this" GSR that is that if a Flue would be illegal without a PMK then a PMK can't be used to overcome the legality they are only used to Manage the plume.

I.e you can't have a flue in a covered car port so you can't use a PMK to overcome this.

Correct me if i am wrong but i am sure since April there has been an article in a GSR Mag and The Gas Installer about this, so this was now my understanding i think they used openable window as there example but its all the same.

[/i]

Now I know that I'm out of my depth here, and relying on the vaillant installation manual (which was printed well before april I'd guess), but there are diagrams relating to requirements of the placements of flues, one part of which is for a car port which indicates a need for clearance of 1200mm from an opening (I think, from memory). So, if you're right, this document is misleading and the manufacturers need to enclose an addendum - they should be told.

Can't answer your question as I don't know the vaillants by heart, nor can I judge the setup from a distance.
In general though, it is not a good idea to fiddle with flues or air inlets unless you know exactly what you are doing.

As a comment on dextrous' post: M.I. can be taken for gospel as they legally override the gsiur.

Thanks again. Will get rgi to fit, subject to any updated MI at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back