Plunge/track saw choices

Sponsored Links
... obviously they're not quite up there with Hilti quality......
You realluy don't want to haer about the designs and quality issues we had with Hilti plunge/rail saws - when they were in production. Nightmare! Fortunately Hilti have decided that it's no their market and bowed out

Just been looking back over last 6 month's and pretty much all my work has been domestic, is it still worth getting 110 v or the 230 v as heard the 110 struggling on cable length power wise
The only time 110 volt struggles is when your extension cables are too thin and/or too long - 1.5mm as opposed to 2.5mm on 16A cables for example, or when you are trying to run too much off an undersized transformer (a lot of 3kVA transformers have ccontinuous ratings as low as 1.6kVA). It's also worth knowing that transformers deteriorate with age - so a 10m year old transformer won't perform as well as the sane design, but 6 months old. As I said before - if you ever do any trade type work (e.g. as a sub) then the 110 volt thing kicks in, as does the M-class. Near M-class (or class L) will still potentially get you a fine if the HSE walking inspector arrives and sees that your extractor in non-compliant.

You realluy don't want to haer about the designs and quality issues we had with Hilti plunge/rail saws - when they were in production. Nightmare! Fortunately Hilti have decided that it's no their market and bowed out

The only time 110 volt struggles is when your extension cables are too thin and/or too long - 1.5mm as opposed to 2.5mm on 16A cables for example, or when you are trying to run too much off an undersized transformer (a lot of 3kVA transformers have ccontinuous ratings as low as 1.6kVA). It's also worth knowing that transformers deteriorate with age - so a 10m year old transformer won't perform as well as the sane design, but 6 months old. As I said before - if you ever do any trade type work (e.g. as a sub) then the 110 volt thing kicks in, as does the M-class. Near M-class (or class L) will still potentially get you a fine if the HSE walking inspector arrives and sees that your extractor in non-compliant.
Can you still get checked on working domestically, or would they not have power to go onto a customers property's,don't really fancy fines etc

Festool kit or makita kit ,I'm getting ,festool about 150 more ,I know there good tools but not sure they worth that much more than the makita so il order once I've decided on which one

Sponsored Links
I have a Bosch and love it! i have several tracks and cuts accurately, cleanly and easily and i think it was half the price of Fes

The GKT55CE isn't half the price of a Fes, really! It may be cheaper, but that's because they are made in China, isn't it?

Toolfest sell the NEW TS 55 R Plunge Saw with 2.4m and 0.8m guide rails for £578 inc vat.
DM tools sell the GKT55CE and two 1.6m rails for £439 inc vat.

I'd still stick with festool as you can add the HK models later if you want. Festool are still one step ahead. Only Mafell can give you similar versatility but their prices are off the scale.

Last edited:
Toolfest sell the NEW TS 55 R Plunge Saw with 2.4m and 0.8m guide rails for £521 inc vat.
DM tools sell the GKT55CE and two 1.6m rails for £439 inc vat.

I'd still stick with festool as you can add the HK models later if you want. Festool are still one step ahead. Only Mafell can give you similar versatility but their prices are off the scale.
Just looked for that package on toolfest but can't see it

OOps. It comes in at £578 inc VAT. :oops:

Axminster sell the TS 55R and 1.4m Rail for £400 inc VAT.
Though is out of stock at the moment.
And the 1.9m rail from toolfest is £122 inc VAT.

Though personally I prefer the rail set up of 2.4m and 1.4m.
I have a 10 year old ts55, rotex 150, domino 700,an old trion jigsaw, hk85 & fsk rail, OF1010 router and an old square based sander that I can't remember the name off.

Last edited:
OOps. It comes in at £578 inc VAT. :oops:

Axminster sell the TS 55R and 1.4m Rail for £400 inc VAT.
Though is out of stock at the moment.
And the 1.9m rail from toolfest is £122 inc VAT.

Though personally I prefer the rail set up of 2.4m and 1.4m.
I have a 10 year old ts55, rotex 150, domino 700,an old trion jigsaw, hk85 & fsk rail, OF1010 router and an old square based sander that I can't remember the name off.
Yeah I'd prefer a long and short rail rather can't see the long one for some reason

With a TS55 you need a 1400mm rail to support the saw and make a plunging crosscut of a 1220mm (4ft) wide sheet of plywood, MDF, etc because the saw overhangs a bit front and rear (bcause of where the adjusters are relative to the centre line of the blade). The guide rail adjusters on the Makita are slightly further apart which can make a difference. For a 2440mm (8ft) long sheet of material you need the 2.7 metre rail, but I ended up with a 3m rail as the price difference was minimal (and it allows me to use the larger TS75 on plywood as well). To my mind there are two issues with guide rails - making sure that they are straight when you join two together (this, BTW, is an issue for every rail system on the market to a greater or lesser extent) and protecting them from idiots/when in transit, etc. Being aluminium they get dinged very, very easily so you do need either a home-made box to cart them about or you need a bag. The manufacturers all supply bags for the 1400/1500 rails (Festool's bag takes 2 x 1400 + 1 x 800 rail - this is my own site kit) but they don't have bags for larger sizes. For that you need to talk to FastCap in the USA who will sell you a 10ft (3m) bag if you want it.

Best deal I've seen recently is Healy#s at £388 for TS55R (230v) + 1 x 1400 or in 110 volt. They also do 2 x 1400 rail sets at £455 including two joiners

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back