Ply or Fibreboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would fibreboard have any benefits over using plywood for an underlay when using laminate flooring. It's going on ground floor so sound proofing isn't essential, I only need it to level the uneven floor boards and to insulate it as well. I would use 7mm fibreboard or 12mm ply, not the thin stuff.

Sponsored Links
Unless the flooring is well uneven then what you propose is not necessary.

Simply use the recommended underlay for that laminate.

If you have doubts about your floor then perhaps post pics of it on here?

If you have an unstable floor then using an underlayment is not going to help.

Is there any movement or bounce in the floor? Simply being a "very old" floor is no reason to replace it.

Why not post pics?

Sponsored Links
No its a solid floor it's the floorboards that aren't all level, some are cupped or warped.

I guess that you mean the suspended floor perhaps T&G boards are "cupped or warped"?

This is simple job for a joiner to plane down to a satisfactory level after dealing with any exposed nail or screw heads. Or if you fancy using an elec plane then hire one and have a go yourself - elec planes can be dangerous.

Fibreboard will have more give, to cushion or limit the cupping of your existing boards than ply but if they are too bad, they really need to be flattened as much as possible....laminate really doesn't like an uneven base!
The floor will of course be a little higher than before - is this an issue?
John :)

Fibreboard will have more give, to cushion or limit the cupping of your existing boards than ply but if they are too bad, they really need to be flattened as much as possible....laminate really doesn't like an uneven base!
The floor will of course be a little higher than before - is this an issue?

Finally a decent response! No, I have plenty of space so that won't be an issue. Will fibreboard have better insulation than ply, keep the floor from feeling cold? If there's no real benefit then it will save me some time as I'll use ply and not worry about the uneven floor boards

I have to say, there won't be much difference insulation wise between the two materials.....more important could be draughts coming up from the skirting area. Sound insulation will be slightly better, if that's part of the equation.
If the floor is too uneven, you have to expect a little movement on the laminate - sometimes you get a tiny gap, sometimes a little creak, sometimes nothing - it all depends on how uneven the floor is.
Are you laminating in the same direction as the original boards, or going perpendicular across them?

I'm laying them in the same direction, I'll get a picture up later on. I would like to minimise how cold the floor will feel underfoot, and a slight amount of cushioning might be nice. Cost wise, it looks like ply would be more expensive as I have approx 12msq to cover.

Thanks for your help

much of a muchness = would have thought it obvious, oh well, basically roll a die as you won't see any practical difference between those two materials at that thickness.

At that thickness neither will provide any insulation benifit at all, they may only reduce air leakage.

20151021_175147.jpg 20151021_174913.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back