Plywood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use 9mm Exterior grade plyfor a small kitchen floor to save height or would it be safer to use 12mm ?
Also should I use a primer ? (PVA)
First attempt at floor tiling so your help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo geoffwh and welcome :D :D :D

are you talking on top of the origional floor or instead off!!!!!!!!!

if you are talking instead off you need a minimum of 18mm

if the floorboards are solid you could use 6mm ply screwed down every 4 inch. if not so solid try putting no more ply down. its more expensive than ply but much better

Sponsored Links
6mm is too thin. 9mm should be ok if your floorboards are dead flat and very secure and have no bounce. If in doubt use 12mm. I say again, 6mm is too thin.

i have put 6mm down on numerous occasions when its not been possible to put thicker ply down. eg upvc doors,appliances etc. as long as its screwed down secure and a quality spf is used you shouldnt have a problem.

Cowboy.jpg

gcol if people want to save height in there own kitchen then just saying that you can use 6mm ply if you want. i dont use 6mm as standard i normally use 9mm no more ply or ditra. just giving people an option thats all. never had one call back to a 6mm ply floor in over 5 years

Be careful believing that just cause you haven't been called back means your job is sound. That's not always the case - if you have a tiler in and the grout breaks up after a few months, I'd bet you that only a small percentage would get the same tiler back in to remedy the situation.
You've gotta be careful on here - you can't see the poster's floor. You don't know how bad it is.... how bouncy. If you recommend 6mm, be prepared to be called on it. In a few months, you might not be here...I will. I recommend what will last and do the job properly. If I can be so bold as to give you some advice, use 9mm as an absolute minimum. If a customer wants you to use less than that, walk away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back