Tiling on floor boards - 9mm or 12mm ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I plan to put 8.5mm porelain tiles over 1930 floor boards in my kitchen - they are not in best condition but i will fix down securely. I have bought some unibond adhesive, flex additive and some primer for plywood.

question is, can i get away with 9mm WPB ply? i realise that 12mm would be more solid but could really do with using 9mm as there is already a difference in floor heights between the kitchen and dining room and we have knocked the two together.

also, should i return the unibond and get some of this BAL 2 part flex stuff?

any other tips for porcelain tiles welcome.

Cheers
Al

Sponsored Links
ideally you should use 12mm but if you use a very good flexi adh youll be fine.

first thing you should do is fashion some sort of ball and chain out of anything you can find in the house (unless you actually own a ball and chain) and hit youself in the b***cks with it for buying unibond.

ideally you should use 12mm but if you use a very good flexi adh youll be fine.
I would still use 12mm; but some would even say 18mm; if your stuck for height, I would rip the lot up & start again with WBP; the base has to be solid or it wont last, using even the best products ;)

first thing you should do is fashion some sort of ball and chain out of anything you can find in the house (unless you actually own a ball and chain) and hit youself in the b***cks with it for buying unibond.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: jefoss hilarious comment aside, you've answered your own question on that one. Don't even think about the unibond unless you plan some time/cash to rip it all up & start again in about 3 weeks. As far as tips go, read the sticky & then read back through the archive tiling posts.

Sponsored Links
Dont forget to screw the ply every 6".

No good putting down 12mm ply and only screwing it in the corners!! :D
Brainy

Welcome to the forum Brainy. Just a heads up.... there's no point in dragging up old posts because undoubtedly the work/problem has been completed and/or the poster has left the forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back