Plywood preservation- loft flooring (is it required)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently doing work on flooring the loft. Got some 18mm elliotis ply. I bought some wood preserver and have started coating the boards because its not marine ply. I did want some protection against moisture and wood rot.

I can't find much on the subject, although there have been some hints that with with this cheap ply certain preservers don't mix to well with the crap glue thats most probably used in this interior ply. And that any moisture ingress and rot is going to happen through the gaps in the seams before penetrating the first layer. So should I save my money and just lay the stuff as is and not bother preserving it. It's only for light storage in the loft anyway.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well there should be no moisture or rot up there in the first place. If there is then you've bigger fish to fry and replacing some ply would be the smallest of your problems.

Just lay as is, have you read up about crossbattening before hand? If not search this site for loft flooring and have a read through relevant posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back