Plywood - sealer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a workbench and using 18mm hardfaced ply as the top (there will be copious strengthening below. I have a lot of surplus 4"x2").

Should I seal it? If so, what's the best product?

The outer edge (it butts to the wall), will probably have a softwood edging strip to protect it. The inners and sides will be bare as cut.

Sponsored Links
Danish oil would do.

Our worktops used to be danish oil. If you left a loaf of bread in its plastic wrapper on the worktop over night, the ink in the plastic would transfer itself to the worktop.

That said, I doubt the OP will be applying as many coats as we had, so, yeah, Danish oil will be fine.

Just make sure that the rags used to apply it are laid flat to dry (or soaked in water). Rags used with Danish oil, and other oils such as linseed oil, can spontaneously combust whilst drying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. It will be inside the new workshop.

Spontaneous combustion? What are you trying to do to me? :eek:

How about a chequer plate top or metal skin of some kind. Failing that some cheap varnish and just redo it every few years.

If it's indoors, your coatings will be to make to top easy to clean, and prevent the edges shedding dust and splinters. Bare wood holds dirt and grease.

Paint would do fine, depending what sort of work you plan to do. Oils and thinners may attack it.

Vinyl flooring makes quite a good worktop, easy to clean, cheap enough to renew when it gets damaged by sharp and pointy things.

For tiny parts, an unpatterned surface will prevent them hiding.

Checkerplate is very durable, but conductive if you ever have live wires on it.

If it's indoors, your coatings will be to make to top easy to clean, and prevent the edges shedding dust and splinters. Bare wood holds dirt and grease.

Paint would do fine, depending what sort of work you plan to do. Oils and thinners may attack it.

Vinyl flooring makes quite a good worktop, easy to clean, cheap enough to renew when it gets damaged by sharp and pointy things.

For tiny parts, an unpatterned surface will prevent them hiding.

Checkerplate is very durable, but conductive if you ever have live wires on it.

Good shout on the vinyl, acts as a bit of a deadener too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back