Plywood small holes minimum distance to the edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made a plywood rectangle of 30x30mm. It is a piece that will be attached to carry a small ignition sensor fotr a 20cc model engine.
The two smaller holes near the bottom edge are a bit near the edge of the plywood. Those are 4mm diameter and the distance from the center of the hole to the edge eis 4mm so it has only 2mm of wood. I think it will be enough, as it is a very strong wood, but I am worried it could break somehow... by the way I have made a hole at the same distance to the edge in another piece of the same plywood and seems hard as hell.
Otherwise, the mount of the engine is a very mount plate and in there the holes are with only 1mm separation from the edge, so I think it should be ok. What do you think? The plywood is 5mm thick.
The pictures of the element I have painted it red:

This plywood element goes over these plate in the engine, pointing to the inside part of the engine, the two smaller holes are over with those in the plate, and as you can see there is very little distance from the hole of the metal mount to the edge of it, and it has worked alright.
and this is an example of how close to the edge is (2mm)

Sponsored Links
I think I'd make the plywood slightly bigger (so it extends past the pat of the engine it's mounting on) Just to give a bit more material, past where the 4mm holes are drilled. Could you possibly make the piece out of metal? Would certainly be a lot stronger?

a very thin metal plate the other side with nuts and bolts would be more appropriate

Sponsored Links
Metal is a bad idea because it transmits heat and the sensor would be affected.

I have decided fiberglassing the entire pieces, specially on the edge near the holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back