PME, is it free to have it installed??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Is it free to have a PME done on an exisitng domestic property which is 40 years old.It is in Nottinghamshire so it would be Eon I presume

Thanks Andy

Sponsored Links
unlikley. unless, that it is, if the original installation was pme in the first place.

but im assuming not... ;)

Last time I had an earth upgraded to PME for a customer EON charged £99, probably more by now and the VAT will be going up in the new year. Have a look at http://www.eonenergy.com/FAQ/Meters/What-is-PME-and-how-can-I-have-it-fitted.htm for more info.

When the EON guys were on site to do it I went round to check all was well - there were three vans, one bloke under the stairs doing the job, two others drinking the customer's tea and looking over his shoulder.

PJ

All the DNOs published new connection methodology and charging statements last month. You can download the statements from their web sites (when you've found where statutory statements are located).

Sponsored Links
The supplier must supply all properties from the same transformer which are close together with the same earthing system. Otherwise touching a metal soil pipe on two adjoining properties could result in you getting a shock.
As a result you have to ask the supplier what earth you are to use. It is not up to you to select.
I have done this on a few occasions and they have tried to fob me off. But when pointed out it is their job to tell me what supply type I have, they have in the end sent some one out to check. When they arrive I have told a white lie and said adjoining house is TN-C-S and they have as a result provided me with a TN-C-S system to match FOC.
If the street is TT then to give you TN-C-S they would likely have to convert the whole street. However they can't just snap their fingers and change it so would have to do one house at a time. So rest of street would be considered as work in progress. Nothing gives them a time limit to complete so could take 20 years. So in real terms they can give you TN-C-S unless there is a marina, caravan site, or petrol station from same transformer.
Since it because of safety issues is not permitted to give a TN-C-S to a marina, caravan site, or petrol station, it is not the perfect system, and with the RCD requirements today there is no real advantage. So personally I would not be worried about knocking in an earth rod and using a TT system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back