Poetry, Music, Books and all things good....

Just thought I would mention some books that I have read recently and really enjoyed.

If you like a good story about life, love and relationships try Paullina Simons: A song in the daylight, The girl in Times Square, Red leaves + others

If you prefer detective stories try Nelson Demille and his 'John Corey' series which are brilliant and funny too. Plus Mayday which is about a strange flight.

Both authors are brilliant at telling a story and with mayday, I was so engrossed that I felt I was actually on the plane with them.

For a real tear jerker try 'A thousand setting suns' by Khaled Hosseini (author of the kite runner) about life in Kabul.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/word-games/book-author-suggestions.310351/#ixzz1l2PirrZT

Sponsored Links
Hi squeaky...thank you for the post....I am tempted with A Thousand Setting Suns, will get plenty of tissues ready.

A very moving book that I read recently was The Other hand by Chris Cleave, It is a very well written story of a Nigerian refugee. It was just one of those books that stayed with you even after you had finished it.

I listened to the John Williams piece ....beautiful...some music doesn't just touch the ears it touches the heart too.

I read A Thousand setting suns whilst on holiday in two days. My girlfriend was surprised when I removed my sunglasses and was in tears :cry:

Its a Thousand 'Splendid' Suns squeaky just bought a copy on ebay so looking forward to a good read.

Sponsored Links
Its a Thousand 'Splendid' Suns squeaky just bought a copy on ebay so looking forward to a good read.

Sorry! Too much on my mind at the moment. :oops: Glad you bought a copy though. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Let me know what you think when you've read it :D

I would recommend a book called "the art of racing in the rain" can't recall the author, but the story is told from the point of view of the family pet dog.

Very moving, and a bit thought provoking to.

Just bought that one too.
Nice to get your recommendations, and such diverse subjects too, so that is good.
Even the cover on that one Barnsbury is so lovely...more tissues needed I fear :cry:

Yes, it would be nice if it was an 'official' sub forum
but it is just a place where posts aren't spoiled by squabbles and to save any links to good books music etc...
simples :)

Yes, it would be nice if it was an 'official' sub forum
but it is just a place where posts aren't spoiled by squabbles and to save any links to good books music etc...
simples :)

well why not ask Admin? i asked for a word game forum and got this place... if you don't ask you don't get !!! ;)

Thank you to squeaky for recommending 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' an excellent book, it's not light-hearted reading but is very well written and thought provoking....
Through a background of the war in Afghanistan, it draws you in to the characters and you realise that however we dress or appear to the world we are all still people with the capacity to feel love, pain and sorrow, while some also have the capacity to be cruel, unkind and inhuman.
It is a story of survival in a war torn country, and makes compelling reading.

On to yours soon Barnsbury .....

Wow. that was fast Susiejb. I am glad that you enjoyed it and you will probably find that the story will stay with you for a while. Did you find it sad near the end?

trying to find the title of another for you.

Sponsored Links
Back