Pointing a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...

I relayed some loose flags on a bed of mortar - mix of 4 builders sand and 1 cement. I had a little left so put some in another area of the patio where all the jointing has either vanished or loose (joints of about 25mm deep, 20mm wide). This was 3-4 weeks ago. The joints are still quite sandy in colour. The previous joints were/are a grey colour.

I know you can get colours to add to mortar but I am now not so sure if the 4-1 mix (above) is correct for jointing/pointing.

I was intending on purchasing some Geofix but one of the builders merchants I spoke to did not recommend it as it can stain the flags.

Any advice on the best material and method for pointing a patio would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think your sand must be very coloured as a 4-1 mix sand to cement is definitely a cement colour. I always use 'daubs' of 6-1 under slabs so that it won't stick permanently and you can get it off if you are moving the slabs in the future.
Pointing is around 4sand/1cement.
Hope this helps.
(try pointing with dark grey cement mix- looks quite good)

Bylough said:
I think your sand must be very coloured as a 4-1 mix sand to cement is definitely a cement colour. I always use 'daubs' of 6-1 under slabs so that it won't stick permanently and you can get it off if you are moving the slabs in the future.
Pointing is around 4sand/1cement.
Hope this helps.
(try pointing with dark grey cement mix- looks quite good)

Thanks for replying. The current pointing (what's left of it) is grey and does look nice. I used ordinary builders sand for the pointing with a 4-1 mix.

Sponsored Links
dont use geofix its ****e.

we point with 3:1. Make sure you measure the mix out with smaller buckets to get an even finish all over the patio, when you mix each batch

Dont bother laying slabs on a 6:1 mix with the 5 spot method or dots. It will move over time and become loose.

Right Thermo,
I needed correcting, I was thinking of older heavy 3 by 2 slabs- which don't budge with daubbing. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back