Pointing and DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
The pointing on my house needs re-doing in places and I've noticed it is partically bad around the DPC. The house is about 40 years old and the black damp proof membrance has rotted back with the worn pointing.
My question is...
Can I just cement into the gap as I would any other course of bricks.
Or could I use some sort of mastic to act as the damp proof membrane?

Thanks for all replies.

Sponsored Links
I'll try to sort out a photo tonight when I get home.

Is that so you can see how bad it is?

TheMrX said:
I'll try to sort out a photo tonight when I get home.

Is that so you can see how bad it is?

No, if it's not too bad, sometime best to leave it as you may bridge the dpc which could give you damp problem.

Sponsored Links
Just got home and too dark to take a decent photo now but I can say that the pointing and damp proof membrane is 2cm recessed from the front of the brick face.

I thought that filling with cement could cause a damp problem by bridging the DPC so thats when I had the mastic idea.

What do you think?

DPC is normally set back from the face by 10mm to prevent it cracking the joint face as the building settles or moves.

Its not a problem

So you don't think I should bother repointing that course?

Isn't it likely to get worse?

No you can repoint it, but dont worry about the dpc being back a little and the [theoretical] slight breach

The house is about 40 years old

Our pointing is in the same state, although our house is about 85 years old :eek:. Was built in the 1920s.

Its not a problem

As I read through, I thought someone was going to announce the 'infusion' DPC method :eek: :evil:.

Oh my goodness, I just noticed that me and ^woody^ have the same amount of posts (Posts: 143)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back