Pointing - thoughts welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1449221947505-770398396.jpg
Hello all,

I have had a wall repointed this week with a 3.5 to 1 mix including some lime. There are cracks and shrinkage as you can see in my photos, my builder tells me this is normal, I am unsure and am wondering whether to insist it is re done

Sponsored Links
There are other factors to be considered, before going through the rigmarole of having the lot repointed.

Factors could be if the work is otherwise neat and tidy, the cracked joints isolated, the joints have been raked out to a good depth (30mm or so), the underlying mortar is sound, the wall not subject to movement, the exposure is not too great.

And probably the price paid (premium, average or cheap) would come into it.

It seems that the mix was too strong, and its cracked because of setting shrinkage, and not drying out too quickly. Stone does not normally dry mortar out too fast. But, such a strong mix may well last a long time.

Its difficult to say, but consider that it may not be right, but the effects of it not being right may be minimal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back