Police raid home of councillor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Detectives have raided the home of a councillor in Rochdale after his son and relations were caught allegedly trying to head into Syria.

Detectives have raided the home of a councillor whose son is among nine Britons arrested for allegedly trying to get into Syria.

The home of Rochdale Labour councillor Shakil Ahmed is being searched by police after it was revealed his son Waheed Ahmed, 22, is among nine of his relatives being held in Turkey.

The five adults includes two women aged 47 and 22, three men aged 24, 22 and 21, and four children aged one, three, eight and 11.

They were arrested at a paramiltary outpost in Reyhanli, a town that borders rebel held parts of Syria, as they tried to cross into Syria.

Mr Ahmed said among those detained with his son were Waheed's aunt, Zadia Bi, two of Zadia's sons and one of the son's wives.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lor-after-son-arrested-heading-for-Syria.html

Sponsored Links
It makes one wonder how someone becomes "radicalised". How are they taken from being in a position of having faith in a peaceful religion to one of wanting to expand a notoriously vicious political movement?

It can't just be the promise of shagging a few virgins after death, can it?

So what else is said to them? How are they persuaded?

I think it's peer pressure and social circle. And when mixed with religion can be a very powerful thing.

Like how people kill to join a gang and be accepted, or kill an ex husband because the wife talked them into it.

With the religion thing, people can believe there will be good consequences for them in an after life if they are pleasing an all powerful god, even if they are murdering people.

Past philosphers and even darwin has said that religion is a good thing for uneducated people, but it has to be managed and controlled correctly from the top down.

It makes one wonder how someone becomes "radicalised".

From a very young age they are given a copy of their training manual. It teaches them to kill why to kill.

It's called the Koran. :evil:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
It makes one wonder how someone becomes "radicalised". How are they taken from being in a position of having faith in a peaceful religion to one of wanting to expand a notoriously vicious political movement?

It can't just be the promise of shagging a few virgins after death, can it?

So what else is said to them? How are they persuaded?

What is the age of the "average" "radicalised" individual?

I suspect it is predominantly teenage angst, fuelling the thought of escaping mediocrity in their current lives for something greater elsewhere.
Doesn't matter whether you're from some disadvantaged estate, or the son of a councillor; anyone can feel a failure, with no prospects.
Perhaps this "son of the councillor" felt that, even with any perceived advantages, he couldn't / wouldn't live up to what his father had achieved.

What percentage of all potential "radicalisees" become radicalised? I suspect, a tiny proportion.
Which leads me to believe that it is less "radicalisation" (as in, an active act of brainwashing), but more, some people choose to do bad things.

We are all different - some do "evil" things.

How are they taken from being in a position of having faith in a peaceful religion to one of wanting to expand a notoriously vicious political movement?
Dex, surely you haven't fallen for their claims that Islam is the "religion of peace" ??

I see no problem in letting them go to Syria. It's letting them back that's the problem.
Yes, I have said before that I do not understand why people, seemingly or even obviously, going to Syria are being policed.

So, they are 'arrested' in Turkey; are they then charged with going to do something?

I see no problem in letting them go to Syria. It's letting them back that's the problem.
I agree with that. Perhaps the government should offer free flights but make it clear it's a one way ticket with no right of re entry. Once they've gone, they've gone. To borrow a phrase.

Well, possibly - but what happened to the three schoolgirls recently and why?

They could have been just going to Turkey for a holiday - I have heard that people do.

Well, possibly - but what happened to the three schoolgirls recently and why?

They could have been just going to Turkey for a holiday - I have heard that people do.
So why were their parents blaming the british authorities when their kids skipped off?

Sponsored Links
Back