Firefighter arrested after farmer killed by stampeding cows

Smacks of compo to me no win no fee, I feel sorry for the firefighter bet it's the driver thats getting done.

I can only imagine this is a joke. His father dies in dreadful circumstances and you assume he is looking to profit. You must have a sad outlook on life.

how could ANY Fire Crew member possibly know what a herd of cows would or wouldn't do in that situation

Seriously?? The ONLY reason they would have used the siren is to clear the cows out of the way. Upon hearing a siren no animal will neatly step on the verge in single file to allow a vehicle through. Therefore they wanted the cows to run in order to clear the road quicker. They did not think of the consequences.

Can I blare my horn when driving past a horses riding side by side? No because it could spook the animal and risk serious injury to the rider. The situation is no different.

then they should move their dairy next to where the cows graze, or move the cows grazing field next t the dairy... you don't build a boat yard 50 miles inland...

Yes, because cows eat the same grass in the same field everyday of the year.

Sponsored Links
Smacks of compo to me no win no fee, I feel sorry for the firefighter bet it's the driver thats getting done.

I can only imagine this is a joke. His father dies in dreadful circumstances and you assume he is looking to profit. You must have a sad outlook on life.

how could ANY Fire Crew member possibly know what a herd of cows would or wouldn't do in that situation

Seriously?? The ONLY reason they would have used the siren is to clear the cows out of the way. Upon hearing a siren no animal will neatly step on the verge in single file to allow a vehicle through. Therefore they wanted the cows to run in order to clear the road quicker. They did not think of the consequences.

Can I blare my horn when driving past a horses riding side by side? No because it could spook the animal and risk serious injury to the rider. The situation is no different.

then they should move their dairy next to where the cows graze, or move the cows grazing field next t the dairy... you don't build a boat yard 50 miles inland...

Yes, because cows eat the same grass in the same field everyday of the year.
And you're so sure because..... oh I know, you're a Farmer? NO NO! Even better, you're a vet? Ah!!! I've got it, you're a cow!

This 'wood you have', is it in your head?

Yes, you need to undergo years of veterinary training to learn that loud noises may panic animals.

Evidently the fireman believed loud noises alarm animals - this is what he wanted to achieve in order to clear the road. It was a fully deliberate action, but the consequences weren't considered.

He should not have his life ruined by this misjudgement, but he is responsible for the outcome.[/i]

Yes, you need to undergo years of veterinary training to learn that loud noises may panic animals.

Evidently the fireman believed loud noises alarm animals - this is what he wanted to achieve in order to clear the road. It was a fully deliberate action, but the consequences weren't considered.

He should not have his life ruined by this misjudgement, but he is responsible for the outcome.[/i]
I take your point GotWood but you haven't given me any indication that you're any better qualified than the rest of us to ascertain what the Fire Fighter was thinking. He's on his way to an emergency, one would hope that a herd of bleedin cows is the last thing on his mind! As I said in the OP, it's a difficult one and I hope The Mail give us the outcome of the story.

Sponsored Links
He was thinking: Siren = Cows move quicker. Unless anyone can propose a sensible. credible alternative?

You are right, it is a difficult (and sad) case. Sadly, in legal terms, I don't believe accidents are allowed to 'just happen'. Someone has to be responsible.

You mean having a 75 year old guy (possibly not the most agile age)
in charge of a bunch of a 100 milkers on a road. And before you start I was bought up on my Grandfathers dairy farm in Wales(sob) now look what you've made me admit.
If you think loud noises frighten cows you should see what a vet with his AI kit does to them. :eek:

Ah, now I am forced to reveal my true identity. I am a farm boy from Wiltshire - I have had my arm up many cow. If you approach them calmly, let them know you are there and don't flap about cows are very predictable. If you suddenly whack on bright flashing lights and a 120dB siren however....

25% of UK farmers are over 65 years old ( http://www.arthurrankcentre.org.uk/projects/rusource_briefings/firm04/133.pdf ).

Slow afternoon today!

I am a farm boy from Wiltshire

Ah the posh lot then :) well tbf yes a lot of farmers do live to a ripe old age (grandad 95 ) but they do slow down as we all do, and I'd not feel happy telling him to back off but that was for my Father to do.
So yes a tragedy but once the compo guy from India rings up and promises the world hmmm .
My wife got sideswiped by a Polish truck on the M25 2 yrs ago and we still get calls.

And for any of you who think the Welsh are a bunch of sheep lovers look at this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2008/06/18/sheep_pig_feature.shtml

A newly qualified vet gets a locum Job at a practise in the West country, Just before the local vet leaves on his holiday he turns and says
“Oh I forgot to mention your also due to judge the sheep at the local fete this weekend”
“OK no problem” says the Locum.
He duly turns up the fete and is presented with 3 pens of sheep, he walks into the first pen and is very impressed with the standard of the flock, walks over to the shepherd who is dressed in a white smock and trouser tucked into his wellies and asks,

“This really is a good flock whats your secret ?”

“ah Ise gets up in the morning puts on my smock trousers and wellies goes out into the field picks one I fancies chases it around catches it puts its back legs down my wellies and I gis it one” replies the Shepherd.

A bit shocked he goes into the next pen with a better flock and asks the same question and the shepherd replies

“ah Ise gets up in the morning puts on my smock trousers and wellies goes out into the field picks one I fancies chases it around catches it puts its back legs down my wellies and I gis it one” replies the Shepherd.

Now seriously perturbed he walks into the last pen asks the question
And the shepherd replies

“ah Ise gets up in the morning puts on my smock” the vet interrupts and says “ I know you chase it around put it legs down your wellies and give it one”
“NOO I don’t do that that’s silly”says the third shepherd
The vet relieved asks “well what do you do?”
“I catches the buggers throw them on their back and then I gis em one” answers the shepherd and adds “makes them easier to kiss”

I think it far more likely that the sirens were already on to warn drivers coming the other way that there was a stonking great fire truck hurtling along the country lane..
As such, the cown would have heard the siren getting closer and closer and should not have been startled by it.
alarmed yes, but not startled.

Another (Arable)Farm Boy here from the North East, I think ColJack might be living in his dream world again

I think it far more likely that the sirens were already on to warn drivers coming the other way that there was a stonking great fire truck hurtling along the country lane..
As such, the cown would have heard the siren getting closer and closer and should not have been startled by it.
alarmed yes, but not startled.

If it happened that way you would be right. As it didn't, you're not.

icon_biggrin.gif I bet 'ewe' people from 'whales' are 'piggin' sick of all those animal sh*gging jokes!
No quite the contrary bach we just get you English wonkers to buy all the old crappy houses we dont want for a fortune and move out :D

Sponsored Links
Back