Police State

Damocles said:
Immigration controls always mean that people from some countries are allowed in while those from others are not. Is this racist?

No, it is sensible you muppet! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Well I was wondering if this squared with the offered definition of a racist.

Racism and foreign policy are not connected..they can be, they have been but I do not think they are now.

I get fed up with all this ****** about racism, everytime you say anything that may effect a minority your called a ****ing rascist..I stay start by shooting the liberals and get us back to common sense!

You seem to be saying that racism is unjustified differential treatment based upon race. The problem comes when there is a policy of justified differential treatment based upon race. Is this racist?

Had a look at the dictionary. It says, 'belief that races have distinct cultural characteristics determined by heredity and that this endows some races with intrinsic superiority'.

Ok. I do not think heredity has anything to do with immigration policy. Nonetheless, there is quite specifically a policy that some races deserve more rights to enter the country than others. It is discriminatory but does not presume an inherited basis for that discrimination.

So what would be the word for a policy or attitude which discriminates on the basis of race but not because of inherited charcteristics? or does poverty count as an inherited characteristic?

Sponsored Links
Damocles said:
You seem to be saying that racism is unjustified differential treatment based upon race. The problem comes when there is a policy of justified differential treatment based upon race. Is this racist?

Had a look at the dictionary. It says, 'belief that races have distinct cultural characteristics determined by heredity and that this endows some races with intrinsic superiority'.

Ok. I do not think heredity has anything to do with immigration policy. Nonetheless, there is quite specifically a policy that some races deserve more rights to enter the country than others. It is discriminatory but does not presume an inherited basis for that discrimination.

So what would be the word for a policy or attitude which discriminates on the basis of race but not because of inherited charcteristics? or does poverty count as an inherited characteristic?

But you see Damocles thats where the whole system is wrong that it allows you to twitter on like this.

Immigration policy should be about-------do we need you? do we want you ?? what can you do for us?? have you got the skills we require??? will you be able to support you and your family????----------------not what race you are----unless you are Welsh of course.

FWL_Engineer said:
Racism and foreign policy are not connected..they can be, they have been but I do not think they are now.

I get fed up with all this **** about racism, everytime you say anything that may effect a minority your called a **** rascist..I stay start by shooting the liberals and get us back to common sense!

At last we agree on something.

Looks like some of us may have some good debates in the future against the trendies then FWL , (bar the EU, where you lost of course). :LOL: :LOL:

david and julie said:
FWL_Engineer said:

I get fed up with all this **** about racism, everytime you say anything that may effect a minority your called a **** rascist..I stay start by shooting the liberals and get us back to common sense!

At last we agree on something.

Looks like some of us may have some good debates in the future against the trendies then FWL , (bar the EU, where you lost of course). :LOL: :LOL:

Lost he never even got started

Perhaps, but in practice all these things are very likely to be assumed simply from your race.

Funny, I thought FWL won the euro debate.

But he dropped out of the debate when we wanted to carry on.

Damocles said:
Perhaps, but in practice all these things are very likely to be assumed simply from your race.

Funny, I thought FWL won the euro debate.

You would, partly because he never told us what he was on about.

Do you know you havent mentioned Iraq for 30 mins?

What that place America invaded for no good reason? must have slipped my mind.

But this topic is 'police state'. So it is more about methods of controlling the population than specifically Iraq.

David and Julie, perhaps you need to chill a little. It is not always possible to carry on a debate however much you might wish to.

Damocles said:
What that place America invaded for no good reason? must have slipped my mind.

But this topic is 'police state'. So it is more about methods of controlling the population than specifically Iraq.

David and Julie, perhaps you need to chill a little. It is not always possible to carry on a debate however much you might wish to.

I am not putting a time scale on any debates. I have have no problem if you need a reality break.

Sponsored Links
Back