Police State

The Uk is run by England. If there had been no act of union combining the scottish and English parliaments, just who would now be getting the oil revenues?

The UK is run from England not by England, I believe there are a fair few Scots in the cabinet at Westminister. Indeed how come they've got their independance but are telling us what to do, do you not think that wrong?

England on its own without the burden of Scotland.Ireland or Wales(or EU) would be quids in, oil or no oil, and we all know it.

Sponsored Links
Damocles said:
America does need it. They import oil. Their own production may be massive but it is going down while their consumption is going up.

Anyway, it is the price which matters. And this depends on the world oil market. Not enough oil, and the price goes up. And boy do American voters scream when their petrol prices go up.

Sure you can grow oil, but what is the price? What they want is not just oil, but cheap oil. Like the sort that just shoots out of the ground in a nice sunny climate.

The Uk is run by England. If there had been no act of union combining the scottish and English parliaments, just who would now be getting the oil revenues?

I am sure pollution has killed many more people than Iraq or the Irish wars. But coal was the basis of the industrial revolution. If there had been no coal then world poulation would be very much less than it is now. And probably there would be a lot fewer trees too.

Thats true Damocles America does need more oil, but they are finding it whereas the rest of the world is not, and you are right the price of oil is a problem, but from now on because of China oil will cost more and more and more. And the UK voters also scream at price rises.

America and Canada are the best places to grow grain and oil crops, they also feed the world, even your bread is made from grain from there, they have long warm summers and cold dry winters. The price ?? well as oil becomes more expensive then growing fuel becomes more viable, trouble is when they do it the rest of the worlds food supply will suffer.

Oh yes the Americans are finding more oil. In Iraq. Huge reserves. All they needed to do to get it out of the ground was remove sanctions on Iraq. A political impossibility for them unless they somehow got rid of Sadam first.

At least in the Uk most of the price is tax and goes to the government. The Americans get it without most of the tax. If your oil was maybe 1/4 the price you pay now how would you feel? Inclined to save? And if it was that cheap but suddenly doubled you would surely scream. So America is screaming...even though ther prices are still way below ours.
(figures approximate but realistic).

We have lots of ground here doing bugger all and farmers living on subsidies because the crops do not pay. price needs to go up a lot to make fuel crops viable. (though I agree a BIG fuel price increase is way overdue)

75% of the UK population is English. Guess who gets the last word in a democratic election? If the Scots did not have a guaranteed number of westminster seats they would have been utterly steamrollered.

I dont agree. Being on good terms with your neighbours is utterly priceless. Would you rather we had Iran next door? Spreading your money about is no guarantee of making friends but it does help.

One thing i dont understand from what you have said is if you are correct, then Iraq has the right to sell her oil to whoever she wants, and being as the party who won the election there are the same as the Iranians, i dont think much of America controling Iraq's oil.

The Americans are correct as to not base their tax system on fuel, bercause if it becomes too expensive then you have no money to run your economy, this has been pointed out to Gordon Brown by the Central Bank but he takes no notice. Basically if the was an oil crisis as the was in 1973 the UK economy would fall flat and disintegrate unless you all paid a massive amount of tax out of your wages which you cant do as it is needed elsewhere

Sponsored Links
The average car milage would need 6 to 8 acres of bio fuel for the year to run, so you would need 200 million acres plus for Britains transport fuel. Sorry Damacles there aint enough acres in Britain for that

david and julie said:

The UK is run from England not by England, I believe there are a fair few Scots in the cabinet at Westminister. Indeed how come they've got their independance but are telling us what to do, do you not think that wrong?

England on its own without the burden of Scotland.Ireland or Wales(or EU) would be quids in, oil or no oil, and we all know it.

Yes, and they can vote on English things and we cannot vote on Scottish things.............What is all that about?? :eek:

You are right of course oilman. Not many redundancies in Whitehall or Westminister now they have a lightened workload though is there. :(

I make it about 6 million acres in the uk, probably 5 million of countryside. So I guess we will have to cut down on the number of cars. Or simply make them 10 times more efficient. Now there's an idea. And if the price went up a lot, maybe people would be interested in cars which did more miles to the gallon. Or even might travel less? Mr Brown seems to think that a high price reduces consumption of cigarettes.

The other nice thing about a big tax on oil is that if the price starts to zoom up you could even cut the tax a bit to even things out.

America does not care who the Iraqis or Iranians sell their oil to. Just as long as they sell it to someone then there is more to go round for everyone. The whole point (if you believe this explanation of the war) was just to get it flowing again.

Scots got the right to a certain number of seats in the westminster parliament in return for giving up their independence. Ok, they have got a little of it back, but westminster could still pass a law and abolish the whole Scottish parliament. Anyone who wanted to take away the rights of Scottish MPs would have to re-open the whole can of worms about the exact relationship between Scotland, Edinburgh and Westminster.

You do have a point, only which political party is going to vote for a scheme where although they have a national majority, they might only have an English minority in the westminster parliament. Could happen to either main party.

What has any of the last 10 or so posts got to do with Britain becoming a Police state??

This is what i call off topic!! :D :LOL:

Things do ramble, don't they? The government has just introduced new police-state powers because of the current 'emergency'. The emergency in question is our voluntary participation in the invasion of Iraq. Hardly an emergency, then. Quite predictable. Likely to continue, or become worse if we carry on doing the same kind of thing. Which brings us to the question of why we did invade Iraq.

Definition of a Racist: A person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

kendor said:
Definition of a Racist: A person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

And your point is??? :p

I will admit this is quickly turning into a Police State.

Immigration controls always mean that people from some countries are allowed in while those from others are not. Is this racist?

Damocles said:
Immigration controls always mean that people from some countries are allowed in while those from others are not. Is this racist?

Only if you cant get in.

Sponsored Links
Back