Poll: Non-Fire-Rated Downlights and EICRs

Given non-fire-rated downlights in 2-storey standard house with bedroom above, as regards an EICR:

• Should be coded C3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should be coded C2

• Should be coded C1

• None of above (please post message)

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
I have voted none of the above as I thought none of the options was appropriate.

They should be treated the same as any other light fitting.

I have voted none of the above as I thought none of the options was appropriate.
I see :) ... except that you do NOT appear to have voted at all!
They should be treated the same as any other light fitting.
OK (I don't disagree with that) - so how, if at all, would you code any "other light fitting" (on a ceiling) which involved some sort of 'hole' in the ceiling (which, unless it were battery-powered, one assumes that all would)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
so how, if at all, would you code any "other light fitting" (on a ceiling) which involved some sort of 'hole' in the ceiling (which, unless it were battery-powered, one assumes that all would)?
If it was electrically satisfactory, then nothing - I suppose that is the same as no code, but -

"Should be considered, but given no code" under the thread title implies that the fire-rating is relevant.

If it was electrically satisfactory, then nothing - I suppose that is the same as no code, but -
"Should be considered, but given no code" under the thread title implies that the fire-rating is relevant.
If (like me) you do not feel that the fire-rating is relevant (to an EICR), then I would personally have thought that the first option on offer would be appropriate. Whilst I was constrained by a character limit, I had hoped it would be apparent that when I offered ..

"Should not even be considered for EICR"
... what I meant (and would have written, if I could) was ...

"Fire-rating should not even be considered for EICR"

It's obviously up to you, but I would just point out that the poll has been configured so as to allow you to change your vote, should you so wish.

Kind Regards, John

Ok, I will change it.

However, without wishing to be awkward, perhaps it is the heading that is ambiguous.

It's like saying - "Poll: LED downlights and EICRs".

Ok, I will change it. However, without wishing to be awkward, perhaps it is the heading that is ambiguous. It's like saying - "Poll: LED downlights and EICRs".
I did think quite a bit of what title to use but could think of no ideal which was even remotely concise.

What would have suggested? (i think I can change it if you have a better one)

Kind Regards, John

I don't think there is one for the way you have framed it.
I.e. should something not required be considered in an EICR?

Perhaps it should relate to where fire-rating is required and whether the EICR should consider that fire-rating part, or limit itself to the electrical.

I don't think there is one for the way you have framed it. I.e. should something not required be considered in an EICR?
Oh, When you wrote "heading", I thought you were talking about the title of the thread, but it now seems that you meant to wording of the first option?
Perhaps it should relate to where fire-rating is required and whether the EICR should consider that fire-rating part, or limit itself to the electrical.
That wouldn't be quite the question I wanted to ask.

The simplest thing would perhaps be for me to 'start again' with another poll, along the following lines, (simply saying "in the presence of such downlights, what, if anything, would you say about them on EICR) :

A 2-storey single-occupancy house has non-fire-rated downlights below a bedroom. Should an EICR
1... give no code relating to downlights
2... give a C3 for downlights
3... give a C2 for downlights
4... give a C1 for downlights
5... give an F1 for downlights

It doesn't even need a "None of the above", because the answer has to be one of those - but I might add a "Uncertain/Don't know" option, for completed!

Would you be happier with that?

Kind Regards, John

Not really, sorry - unless I am missing something.

You are asking about something unrelated and irrelevant to the EICR and compliance with the regulations.

In such a house, it just doesn't matter whether the lights are fire-rated or not.

Not really, sorry - unless I am missing something. You are asking about something unrelated and irrelevant to the EICR and compliance with the regulations. In such a house, it just doesn't matter whether the lights are fire-rated or not.
I agree, but I'm tying to address, pragmatically, the question which is what matters to the OP of the thread which stimulated this - i.e. "Given that an EICR has been undertaken, should it say anything about (let alone code) non-fire-resistant downlights in a property such as his" - so I suppose that a simple yes/no to that question would suffice.

In fact, that OP's interest is even narrower than that, namely "Given that an EICR has been undertaken, should it record a C2 (or C1!) for non-fire-resistant downlights in a property such as his". Again, what matters to the OP would be simply a yes/no answer to that.

However, I think that, from that OP's viewpoint, you are worrying unnecessarily, since the poll, as currently written, will serve his purpose. It's obviously very early days, but no-one has yet suggested a C3, let alone a C2, and I'd be very surprised if that changes, at all, or materially - so the OP ought to end up reasonably reassured than no-one here believes that the C2 is correct/appropriate - which is all that matters to him.

It's just conceivable that whoever produced the EICR sincerely believes that what they were saying/coding was 'correct' (even if no-one, or virtually no-one, agrees with them), but it would seem far more likely that it's an attempt at just a work-generating 'rip-off'.

Kind Regards, John

I agree, but I'm tying to address, pragmatically, the question which is what matters to the OP of the thread which stimulated this - i.e. "Given that an EICR has been undertaken, should it say anything about (let alone code) non-fire-resistant downlights in a property such as his" - so I suppose that a simple yes/no to that question would suffice.
Of course it should not say anything - so No.

In fact, that OP's interest is even narrower than that, namely "Given that an EICR has been undertaken, should it record a C2 (or C1!) for non-fire-resistant downlights in a property such as his". Again, what matters to the OP would be simply a yes/no answer to that.
Of course it should not record C2 or C1 - so No.

However, I think that, from that OP's viewpoint, you are worrying unnecessarily, since the poll, as currently written, will serve his purpose. It's obviously very early days, but no-one has yet suggested a C3, let alone a C2, and I'd be very surprised if that changes, at all, or materially - so the OP ought to end up reasonably reassured than no-one here believes that the C2 is correct/appropriate - which is all that matters to him.
I think you are worrying unnecessarily. It is just wrong.

It's just conceivable that whoever produced the EICR sincerely believes that what they were saying/coding was 'correct' (even if no-one, or virtually no-one, agrees with them), but it would seem far more likely that it's an attempt at just a work-generating 'rip-off'.
Let's hope they are just ignorant; although that is just as worrying as if generating rip-off work.

What if they had given him a C2 for having a blue ceiling? Would that warrant a poll?

The only question related to the matter is, in my opinion, IF fire rating were required, would that be anything to do with the EICR - i.e. electrical - or just observed information to be given to the householder?

What if they had given him a C2 for having a blue ceiling? Would that warrant a poll?
If the OP in that other thread had received an EICR with such a coding (and was being told that he had to pay a substantial amount to have it 'remedied'), then, from his point-of-view, probably yes.
The only question related to the matter is, in my opinion, IF fire rating were required, would that be anything to do with the EICR - i.e. electrical - or just observed information to be given to the householder?
You're preaching to the converted, but you don't seem to agree with, or sympathise with, what I am trying to do for that OP - i.e. to provide him with a little reassurance that no-one here (I hope and suspect) agrees that the C2 he's faced with is correct (which, if it were, he's being asked to pay a better part of £1,000 to have 'remedied') - whether that C2 has been given (incorrectly) for a non-fire-resistant downlight, a blue ceiling, poor pipework or anything else.

Slightly tangential, but topical, what if this were a 'landlord EICR' - in which case the landlord could be looking at having (unnecessarily) to pay ~£800 in the next 28 days to avoid being sent to the gallows?!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back