Poll: Using an external keyboard with laptop - business use

When using a laptop for business purposes, how often do you plug in an external keyboard?

• Total voters
Makes no difference at all for the user, but if for some reason they need to ask someone else to show them how to do something all mayhem ensues.
I can believe that - but if (as I suspected) "it makes no difference at all for the user", why would a left-handed user change it in the first place?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can believe that - but if (as I suspected) "it makes no difference at all for the user", why would a left-handed user change it in the first place?

Kind Regards, John

Not really sure, maybe ones index finger is the most dexterous?

Yes, maybe - but I suppose that it would then not really be true to say that "it makes no difference at all for the user" :)

Kind Regards, John

Bit of a misunderstanding, when I said it makes no difference, I meant reversing the buttons makes no functional difference to the operation of the computer, but for some left handers makes it more intuitive (maybe) . I might have the buttons of my mouse as normal, but the mouse itself is on the left side of the keyboard.

Incidentally as we know the qwerty keyboard layout is designed to slow typing down. Windows 10 supports an optimised keyboard layout designed to maximise typing speed. I've not yet met anyone dedicated/brave enough to learn to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Bit of a misunderstanding, when I said it makes no difference, I meant reversing the buttons makes no functional difference to the operation of the computer, but for some left handers makes it more intuitive (maybe) . I might have the buttons of my mouse as normal, but the mouse itself is on the left side of the keyboard.
Fair enough.
Incidentally as we know the qwerty keyboard layout is designed to slow typing down.
Indeed.
Windows 10 supports an optimised keyboard layout designed to maximise typing speed. I've not yet met anyone dedicated/brave enough to learn to use it.
It's not the first time that that has been tried, but I've never come across anyone dedicated/brave enough to take the challenge. It would presumably only be remotely sensible to try if the new layout were fairly ubiquitous (which it won't, unless a lot of people 'try' - hence a vicious circle!) - since otherwise one's brain/.fingers would have to be able to be able to switch between the two, which I suspect would be pretty difficult (and might well slow down one's use of both!).

A bit like Esperanto, I suppose - I once knew (just) one person who claimed to be 'fluent' in it. In theory, a very good idea, but only if it came into very widespread use, which requires a lot of people to be the guinea pigs' prior to that!

Kind Regards, John

We might 'know' that, but it isn't true.
I believe that's correct, but it's one of those very widely-held and perpetuated myths/misconceptions.

As I understand it, it was actually designed to allow people to type faster without jamming the mechanism (primarily by avoiding frequently consecutive characters being on adjacent keys on the keyboard) and, in fact, further increasing potential typing speed by putting those 'frequently consecutive characters' far apart on the keyboard to facilitate 'alternate-hand' typing. Is that correct?

Kind Regards, John

Is that correct?
Yes.

As it was a simple mechanical linkage, the 'frequently consecutive characters' being far apart on the keyboard meant they were far apart in the basket, so one striker bar (or whatever they are called) could be swinging forward while the previous one was swing back.

Thanks for confirming.
As it was a simple mechanical linkage, the 'frequently consecutive characters' being far apart on the keyboard meant they were far apart in the basket, so one striker bar (or whatever they are called) could be swinging forward while the previous one was swing back.
Indeed - and, as i said, in addition to that, by have the 'frequently consecutive characters' far apart on the keyboard this greatly increased the proportion of occasions on which consecutive characters could be typed with fingers of different hands - which people can generally do faster than typing two consecutive characters with finger(s) of the same hand.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back