Using external keyboards with Laptops

Worth a bit if genuine IBM and in good condition.
I think some of the ones I have are probably 'genuine IBM' but, after many years of use in most cases, I doubt than (m)any are in particularly 'good condition'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I use the MacBook keyboard and touch pad. Never needed an external mouse, but based on the expenses I have to approve; external keyboard, mouse and giant curved monitors seem to be mandatory for home working.

Hmm, if I worked for an external company I'd be a bit suspicious you might know me. Am disappointed by my curved monitors though.

I think some of the ones I have are probably 'genuine IBM' but, after many years of use in most cases, I doubt than (m)any are in particularly 'good condition'!

Kind Regards, John

I think these days, they'd be considered as having an excessively positive action and of course way too loud.

I use the MacBook keyboard and touch pad. Never needed an external mouse, but based on the expenses I have to approve; external keyboard, mouse and giant curved monitors seem to be mandatory for home working.
From what davelx said, it sounds as if they are theoretically 'mandatory' (although I presume that even the regulations cannot 'force' a person to use them), as well as often being preferred (for 'work') by the users - but, again, that is just in relation to 'work' use.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Over the years I've worked as and now with a lot of Fintech developers, they're now often onto quad screens, ironically, sometimes they need something with more grunt than a laptop.

I think these days, they'd be considered as having an excessively positive action and of course way too loud.
Maybe, but that's really a question of 'what we are used to' - I certainly remember being very unhappy with, and took a long time to adjust to, the reduction (near-elimination in some cases) of 'positive action' - but one has to understand that the first few years of my use of keyboards related to mechanical typewriters :)

Kind Regards, John

Hmm, if I worked for an external company I'd be a bit suspicious you might know me. Am disappointed by my curved monitors though.

There is one magic sentence that needs to be included in the Purchase order request "my back and eyes hurt". ;)

Having said that - I've got from +1 reading to +2 since Covid started.

Over the years I've worked as and now with a lot of Fintech developers, they're now often onto quad screens, ironically, sometimes they need something with more grunt than a laptop.
I regularly use three screens with my 'desktops' - the middle one for most 'normal' use, but with the option to have other things on the other two when required.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe, but that's really a question of 'what we are used to' - I certainly remember being very unhappy with, and took a long time to adjust to, the reduction (near-elimination in some cases) of 'positive action' - but one has to understand that the first few years of my use of keyboards related to mechanical typewriters :)

Kind Regards, John

"we" in the workplace are almost certainly considerably younger than your or me and are almost certainly used to backlit soft touch keyboards (yuk!)

"we" in the workplace are almost certainly considerably younger than your or me and are almost certainly used to backlit soft touch keyboards (yuk!)
Exactly. As I said, it's a question of "what one is used to" and, as you imply, a substantial proportion of the current workforce have probably never experienced a 'clunky' computer keyboard (let alone a mechanical typewriter - if they know what that is/was :) ) - so, I might say, "don't know any better" (or "what they are missing"!) :)

If you wanted to see me (uncharacteristically) swearing, you would have to do no more than observe me when I was trying to use the 'keyboard' on a mobile phone - or, indeed, any other sort of touch screen keyboard :)

Kind Regards, John

Exactly. As I said, it's a question of "what one is used to" and, as you imply, a substantial proportion of the current workforce have probably never experienced a 'clunky' computer keyboard (let alone a mechanical typewriter - if they know what that is/was :) ) - so, I might say, "don't know any better" (or "what they are missing"!) :)

If you wanted to see me (uncharacteristically) swearing, you would have to do no more than observe me when I was trying to use the 'keyboard' on a mobile phone - or, indeed, any other sort of touch screen keyboard :)

Kind Regards, John

Missing RSI maybe :LOL:

Missing RSI maybe :LOL:
Maybe I've just been lucky but, for decades (through many generations of 'types of keyboard') it has not been unusual for me to spend a total of 12+ hours per day 'at the keyboard', and when I'm playing with data it is not unusual for me to be actually using the keyboard (or keypad) almost continuously for hours, but I've yet to have any problems at all - so I think there is probably an awful lot of individual variation in susceptibility to RSI.

Conversely, if I am 'forced/bullied' into doing a significant amount of 'garden work' (not really my thing :) ), I sometimes end up with symptoms which last for days, if not weeks!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe I've just been lucky but, for decades (through many generations of 'types of keyboard') it has not been unusual for me to spend a total of 12+ hours per day 'at the keyboard', and when I'm playing with data it is not unusual for me to be actually using the keyboard (or keypad) almost continuously for hours, but I've yet to have any problems at all - so I think there is probably an awful lot of individual variation in susceptibility to RSI.

Conversely, if I am 'forced/bullied' into doing a significant amount of 'garden work' (not really my thing :) ), I sometimes end up with symptoms which last for days, if not weeks!

Kind Regards, John

Never got my hands, but the old CRT monitors right royally messed my eyes up.

I remember getting my first 25" CRT computer monitor as I was working on some very old agreements, with lots of small print. I didn't need the heating on in the office with that thing on all day.

Never got my hands, but the old CRT monitors right royally messed my eyes up.
Again perhaps lucky, but I didn't have that problem, either, despite a good few years of being stuck with them. What the X-rays etc. did to me is an unknown - but no obvious consequences yet!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back