Using external keyboards with Laptops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In another thread ...

If, but only if, they are using a laptop without an external keyboard. That may be what you do and it may even be common practise, but unless you can provide evidence that it is what a significant majority of 'ordinary' (domestic or whatever) users do, it is remarkably arrogant of you to speak on behalf of them and describe what they do and do not do.
I don't know about "remarkably arrogant", but the nearest to evidence I can offer is my own experience/observations.

A lot of people in my social circles, and most of my many work and work-associated colleagues, have laptops. It terms of the latter, when doing 'work', in an office or 'home office', they will not infrequently plug in (or connect wirelessly) an external keyboard (and mouse), but I have almost never seen anyone doing that when using a laptop for personal/domestic/pleasure purposes - other than 'gamers', and serious ones of those don't usually use laptops, anyway! However, that's all just anecdotal personal experience/ observation, not 'evidence'

Since I obviously cannot know how representative my personal experience/observations are of laptop users in general, I have, as you will have seen, set up a couple of polls in an attempt to generate some 'evidence' (in whichever direction!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I use the lap tops key board, but a remote mouse, however my lap top is a personal computer no one else uses it, my wife the same, it is a personal computer no one else uses it. Even my daughter who uses a works lap top it is not used by anyone else.

I use the lap tops key board, but a remote mouse, however my lap top is a personal computer no one else uses it, my wife the same, it is a personal computer no one else uses it. Even my daughter who uses a works lap top it is not used by anyone else.
Fair enough, but the discussion is not about whether or not something is a 'personal computer'. Rather, it's about the difference between a laptop's keyboard (which, because of space limitations, will either have no numeric keypad or one whose keys 'double' as something else) and a 'full keyboard', with a physically distinct dedicated numeric keypad (such as one would use with a 'desktop' PC or as an external keyboard for a laptop).

Kind Regards, John

I have used a keyboard with lap top, either because there is a fault with lap top key board, or the mouse pad keeps getting touched when typing and moves courser.

But my stand alone key boards are clicky chunky things and to be frank the lap top key pad is better.

Sponsored Links
In another thread ...

I don't know about "remarkably arrogant", but the nearest to evidence I can offer is my own experience/observations.

A lot of people in my social circles, and most of my many work and work-associated colleagues, have laptops. It terms of the latter, when doing 'work', in an office or 'home office', they will not infrequently plug in (or connect wirelessly) an external keyboard (and mouse), but I have almost never seen anyone doing that when using a laptop for personal/domestic/pleasure purposes - other than 'gamers', and serious ones of those don't usually use laptops, anyway! However, that's all just anecdotal personal experience/ observation, not 'evidence'

Since I obviously cannot know how representative my personal experience/observations are of laptop users in general, I have, as you will have seen, set up a couple of polls in an attempt to generate some 'evidence' (in whichever direction!).

Kind Regards, John

I can only speak for myself and other colleagues. For work everyone plugs their laptop into a hub, that has a full size keyboard, mouse and usually dual monitors, don't think I've ever seen anyone use the built in ones, unless their hub is broken / unavailable.

I use a laptop for work and use the laptop keyboard all the time with a Bluetooth mouse rather than the touch pad.

However, for many people, a flat laptop keyboard is at the wrong angle, and with the laptop flat on a desk, the screen is at the wrong height. Consequently, lots of our office staff who need laptops because they travel around the country, will have a desk in the office with a stand that lifts the laptop screen to a better height which means they can't use the laptop keyboard and have to use a remote one. Some have full docking stations with remote monitors as well if they need a bigger screen.

In an employment situation, whether self-employed or working for a company, and regardless of whether you are working from home or in an office, there are quite strict regulations regarding Display Systems Equipment, and sitting at a table with a laptop on it does not meet the requirements for long term use:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/

When I was working for Reuters and BT, in both cases we had to carry out regular DSE assessments both for working in the office and at home:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ck1.pdf

The companies were obliged to then provide whatever equipment was needed to ensure the regulations were met. Failure to do so would render them liable in the event the employee sustained some injury, including RSI, necj and back problems etc.

The upshot was that in the office we had laptop docking stations with external display, keyboard and mouse. At home we had a choice of the same, or laptop stands and separate keyboard and mouse. We were also provided with appropriate seating, foot rests, wrist rests etc. I still have all that at home today, having retired in 2012.

Note that being self-employed makes no difference, the regulations still apply.

Last edited:
What I thought was very funny in several places I've worked was seeing the desktop PC's [with monitor standing on top] being replaced with towers under the desk. Then the piles of file boxes/telephone directories/lunchboxes etc being used to raise the monitor and eventual wooden plinths being designed & built or sourced, most of which were every bit as big as the PC they replaced.

I can only speak for myself and other colleagues. For work everyone plugs their laptop into a hub, that has a full size keyboard, mouse and usually dual monitors, don't think I've ever seen anyone use the built in ones, unless their hub is broken / unavailable.
Indeed - as I said, that is very common for 'work use' but, as I've also said, it's something I can't remember ever having seen done in relation to personal/domestic/pleasure use (except, perhaps, occasionally for 'gaming', but that's very specific, and {if 'serious gaming'} rarely uses a laptop, anyway).

Kind Regards, John

However, for many people, a flat laptop keyboard is at the wrong angle, and with the laptop flat on a desk, the screen is at the wrong height. Consequently, lots of our office staff who need laptops because they travel around the country, will have a desk in the office with a stand that lifts the laptop screen to a better height which means they can't use the laptop keyboard and have to use a remote one. Some have full docking stations with remote monitors as well if they need a bigger screen.
Indeed - as I've just written, very common for 'work use' but, at least in my experience, extremely uncommon in relation to personal/domestic use.

Kind Regards, John

In an employment situation, whether self-employed or working for a company, and regardless of whether you are working from home or in an office, there are quite strict regulations regarding Display Systems Equipment, and sitting at a table with a laptop on it does not meet the requirements for long term use:
Fair enough. However, as I've been saying, even without regulations I think many/most people would favour (wherever practicable) a 'proper keyboard (and probably a larger screen) when using a laptop (or any other computer) for 'work'.

However, this thread, and the associated polls, was stimulated by comments/questions about 'personal/domestic' (i.e. not 'work-related') use of laptops and, in my experience, it is very rare to see people using other than the laptop's built-in keyboard and monitor for that purpose.

Note that being self-employed makes no difference, the regulations still apply.
In passing ... I have to say that I personally regard that as a barely-acceptable manifestation of a 'Nanny State' and, to my mind, an unreasonably restriction of my 'liberties' (so, yes, I personally frequently ignore that regulation!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Those were the days :LOL:

ibmps2-click-kb-1.jpg

I use the MacBook keyboard and touch pad. Never needed an external mouse, but based on the expenses I have to approve; external keyboard, mouse and giant curved monitors seem to be mandatory for home working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back