Poll - What’s your preferred material for subfloor?

What’s your preferred sub-floor?

• Pine floor boards

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Chipboard - Tongue & Groove

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chipboard - Full sheets

• Plywood - Tongue & Groove

• Plywood - Full sheets

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • OSB - Full sheets

• Other

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really interested in your thoughts on the best subfloor to go in bedrooms/hallways/landings on upper floors over the top of joists. Finished floor will be carpet over the top.

There are so many opinions and preferences on this one so thought I’d go with the majority!

I’m assuming 18mm thickness for each of the options.

Sponsored Links
I used the P5 2400x600 t&g boards but wish I had used full sheets of ply like my Grandad did at our last house.

That’s in a loft conversion.

I used the P5 2400x600 t&g boards but wish I had used full sheets of ply like my Grandad did at our last house.

That’s in a loft conversion.

Why would you use the full sheets over the T&G?

They creak. I had them down loose for a bit while the roof was being done then fixed them properly after insulating the walls and floor.

My Grandad used a decent 18mm ply and they were silent.

8331670F-6186-454F-BEA9-BC74400D0A20.jpeg

3BE3E0E4-6F97-4126-AEE3-AED721C986F4.jpeg

Next time I need a carpet I plan to replace them. Although I only screwed them, didn’t glue them.

Sponsored Links
chipboard, vom vom.

If your wife is strong enough to carry 8x4 ply up the ladder, it's preferable. You can also tighten the screws a bit more without the heads sinking in.

They creak......

.....I only screwed them, didn’t glue them.
I think that's where your issue is. They are far, far better when glued. How did you set the tongues into the grooves? Did you use a hammer and puller bar or something heavier? What centres are your screws on?

I screwed 3 across each board and my joists are at 400 centres so 21 screws in each.

I tapped them in using an offcut with the groove on. While they were loose they were much quieter.

I've tended to use a sledge hammer and a piece of 4 x 2 CLS to get a tight joint, but then we always glue our joints with D4 PVA which means there is an issue with hydraulic resistance due to the the glue. We also glue to the joists. AFAIK this is the recommended method of fixing to avoid creaks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back