Polycarbonate glazing on 1930's front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a 1930's front door which (together with its surrounding framework) is mostly leaded stained glass. We've recently had some glass replaced (at a considerable cost) and it was suggested that we try and put some Polycarbonate sheets on the outside to protect the glass from future damage. The rebate is at least 1/2 an inch deep but I was wondering what thickness I should be using in order to get the best protection but ensuring that it can be beaded up to fit it over the top of the existing leaded glass.

Has anyone tried this on this forum before or something similar perhaps?

Any information will be appreciated.

Regards

Ant H

Sponsored Links
As above said, use glass maybe even laminated, poly will start to discolour and scratches easy

Thanks.

I hadn't considered real glass as I wanted something that was going to be difficult to break in the first instance. Also, I hadn't planned on taking out the existing beading from around the stained glass so it was a case of fitting some polycarbonate the size of the existing glass and then add new beading to that which would merge into the existing pattern.

However, now that real glass has been suggested, I would expect to have to remove the existing beading first so that there is enough depth to fit new beading as I would need the panels to be thicker if I use glass.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I think the original suggestion of using polycarbonate would be a much easier option.
You can get solid polycarbonate sheets in different thicknesses, so you can order in a thickness that would suit your needs.
It is totally clear and has all the properties of glass but the advantage is that unlike glass, you can cut it yourself. It is much lighter than glass and so easy to handle, and it is practically unbreakable - so gives you all the benefits you originally wanted.
Loads of companies sell online....or you may be able to find locally at a glazing merchants

http://www.gbplastics.co.uk/Products/Solid_Polycarbonate_Clear_Roofing_Glazing

this company I have used before but not for this product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back