Polycarbonate Twinwall sheet protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I bought an Aluminium greenhouse with PC sheets as the glazing about 3 yrs ago. The original sheets have pitted and cracked. Fortunately, I have similar sized sheets from a previous purchase that went wrong. There is a bluish tinge to the sheets, I'm assuming to be UV protection. The sheets have a clear film one side and a white film on the other: am I right in thinking the UV protected side is with the clear film and installed facing outside. I don't have the instructions from the previous purchase unfortunately. Thanks for any help, rgds

Sponsored Links
Usually the UV side has a blue covering.
Are you sure the clear side is not tinted blue if you peel the corner?
Someone suggested peeling back a small section on both sides, rolling up a small piece of paper and sliding it in between the channels, expose the sheet to sunlight for a while, (may take a few days), and the side that 'yellows' the paper is the NON-UV side.

Hi Conny, the sheets have peel off, disposable, film both sides, I assume as anti-scratch protection during transport: one side has clear film, the other white. The actual twinwall has this blue tinge. Pic from inside the greenhouse showing the white film and blue tinge.
I'll try the 'paper in the channels' idea, sounds neat :) I have other sheets I can experiment on.
IMG_20200511_162759393_HDR.jpg

I doubt one side will be "special" material. It would be far easier to make the whole thing out of one plastic and I doubt any coating would stay on with the plastic film

Sponsored Links
If you can see the blue tinge from both sides then maybe it can be fitted either way. Just guessing to be honest.

Conny: I got a small sheet from the box and stuffed a couple of strips of paper in the channels. Roasting in the sun as I write this!!
Tigercubrider: I left the white film on so if it's round the wrong way, I know which way is which :) The clear film I disposed of. Once I'm happy one way or the other, Ill ditch the white film.
Thanks for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back