Polyx oil disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I sanded down the upstairs floors, they looked great raw. I applied two coats of polyx oil and they look terrible, they are really patchy and not at all sealed as everything stains them.

Can I apply another coat? Can I varnish on top of the oil? I really can't sand them again as we have to live here now and I don't think they will take it.

Anything I can do.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I'm not sure that varnishing would remove the patchiness, which is a common problem with oil or wax finishes on pine.

However, if you want to varnish over the oil finish you'll probably need some sort of barrier coat between the oil and varnish. A couple of coats of a wax free shellac should achieve this.
Prior to the shellac, I'd probably give the floor a wipe over with white spirit, to remove as much free wax as possible.
It's essential that the white spirit is left to completely evaporate before applying the (alcohol-based) shellac.
Either the shellac or subsequent varnish could be stained to minimise the patchiness.

Before attempting this on the entire floor, I'd try the above in an inconspicuous place first.
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back