Pond Aerator Pump Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pond aerator pump that plugs into mains electricity. In normal use, it draws 4 Watts, evidently. It wasn't supplied with a mains plug so I fitted one and installed the lowest rated mains fuse I had - 2 Amps. However, the instruction manual states:

"should be fused for a rated fault current of max. 30mA by means of a fault current protection device".

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this statement but I take that to mean either a 0.03 Amp fuse or MCB?!? They don't exist, do they? Maybe they mean an RCD? An explanation would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
They apparently do mean an RCD but that is irrelevant to the fuse rating and the 30mA operating current of an RCD does not limit the fault current which will occur during a fault.

Fuses are to protect the cables so it depends on the cable rating.

However, that does not preclude using a fuse lower than that rating - 2A or the usual 3A will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Does the first of those really contain a fuse? If so, what on earth purpose does it serve?
Photos show no evidence of a fuse (unless it's hidden on the bottom) - so what does "fused" in the name of the first one (but not the second, which is entitled "unfused") mean?

upload_2021-6-2_20-50-4.png
upload_2021-6-2_20-50-29.png

Kind Regards, John

Oh, I was looking at the wrong one - confusing 'cos the colours of the two (on Masterplug website) were the opposite of the Screwfix photos . So it does have a fuse. Very odd!
upload_2021-6-2_20-54-50.png

Kind Regards, John

... and the description of the unfused one (but not the fused one) includes ...
It is non-latching, therefore power needs to be reset at each use and it is ideal for home appliance spike protection.
:?:

Kind Regards, John

Is that a flex outlet at the bottom - for wiring direct to the appliance and no socket on the other side?
I'm doing well at getting confused and hence confusing everyone else. You're right - the fused one is hardwired and doesn't have a 'socket' to plug into. Whether the one depicted by Screwfix ("fused" AND with a socket outlet, described as a 'plug-through adapter) actyal exists or not, I don't know. The front of the fused one of which I recently posted the back view (showing the fuse) looks like this (no 'socket')
:
upload_2021-6-2_21-30-45.png

Kind Regards, John

Just to add to the maddness - photos of my JCB 30mA RCD 'Socket' with a 13A fuse in the back.
Which brings us back to the question

Does the first of those really contain a fuse? If so, what on earth purpose does it serve?

IMG_20210602_220214699.jpg
IMG_20210602_220241436.jpg

Just to add to the maddness - photos of my JCB 30mA RCD 'Socket' with a 13A fuse in the back.
Which brings us back to the question ....
Quite. It really makes little sense - as you may well agree, the two suggestions you previously offered (as regards 'what on earth is the purpose of the fuse?') seem a little far-fetched - although I can't say that I can think of any better explanations!

If they were concerned about people plugging in "Chinese unfused plugs", that would be an argument for including fuses in all sockets (two in double ones)!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back