Pond Electrics!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

This is my first post so please excuse me if I am being dumb!

I have a power supply to my garage at the end of my garden where in there is a small fuse box which has a line from it (armoured cable) back out into the garden to some path lights on top of a lamp post. (60w each of two bulbs)
This garage fuse has 45amp max on it.
My question is can I take a spur from the lights on the pathway to supply a 4500lrs/hr pond pump and a seperate UV filter which is three feet away?

Any kind input would be much appreciated.
Kes1

Sponsored Links
You need to find the power rating of whatever you're trying to connect. As long as it doesn't overload the circuit it should be ok. It Should have RCD protection outside, has it got that anywhere?

In theroy any overload should trip a overload or blow a fuse, but that is only true if installed correctly to start with.

So job one is to work out what feeds what, with what size overload, and what size cable.

The other thing is how is it earthed? In the UK we have TT and TN and TN is split TN-C-S and TN-S and pond equipment can need an earth or can be double insulated (class II) and you need to know this before you can plan out what you want, plus RCD protection as already talked about.

There is likely no problem, but sitting on my chair I have no idea what you have, so can't answer.

Genuine thanks for the replies gents. I am away tyonight but will look at the ratings on all the parts involved and advise.

Cheers
Kes1

Sponsored Links
With any outdoor electrics, they become faulty sooner or later. My advice to you is to ensure you have DP isolation on the supply to these items.

If it's an old pump it's worth reviewing the power consumption very carefully anyway for cost reasons, I replaced my Mum's old Blagdon with a newer energy efficient one that paid for itself in only about 8-9 months when the energy prices were a bit mad

When you return, let us know
1) The power ratings of the pump and filter, in Kw and amps plus any other info off their plates.
2) the size of the protective device, fuse or MCB currently supplying the lights.
3) The size of the armoured cable supplying the lights. It should be embossed on the outside sheathing.
4) Is there any RCCD protection either in the house or garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back