Pond help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In the process of buying a house which had a brick built pond. I don't know anything about them, so wondering if any of you experts could tell me possibly what the previous owner used it for.

It does has 2 levels, so I guess some sort of water flow, and I'm sure I saw pond electrics in the consumer unit

Would appreciate any advice/comments

P1000629_zpsbbefa652.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like a big pond. How deep is it? If its deep enough you could stick some kio in there. You would need To buy a decent filter with a uv light and a pump and it would clear up in a few weeks.

That raised bit looks like where the old filter was, I bet if you had a look around that area you would find a electric cable or something.

Looks like a big pond. How deep is it? If its deep enough you could stick some kio in there. You would need To buy a decent filter with a uv light and a pump and it would clear up in a few weeks.

That raised bit looks like where the old filter was, I bet if you had a look around that area you would find a electric cable or something.

Hi

No idea how deep it is, only saw it once and got a few weeks until completion. Just trying to work out what he potentially had used it for. As I'll be renting the house for a year or so before I move in, I may just clean it up. Chap who owned it died over a year ago, and everything has probably been turned off since. Maybe the old filter will still be there and working.

Any suggestions in pumps & uv light?

Hi

No idea how deep it is, only saw it once and got a few weeks until completion. Just trying to work out what he potentially had used it for. As I'll be renting the house for a year or so before I move in, I may just clean it up. Chap who owned it died over a year ago, and everything has probably been turned off since. Maybe the old filter will still be there and working.

Any suggestions in pumps & uv light?

You might be right it could be all there and all you need to do is turn it all back on.

If not this is the same filter I had on my pond it has a uv light built into it and worked great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OASE-BioT...den_PondsWaterFeatures_UK&hash=item3a831b559b

I had a similar pump to this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODSIDE-...den_PondsWaterFeatures_UK&hash=item48565fd12b

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks

I think electrics are there, as there was a separate consumer unit in the garage that had pond, outside lights and outdoor electrics.

Just hoping the pump and filter are still present,

Thanks

I think electrics are there, as there was a separate consumer unit in the garage that had pond, outside lights and outdoor electrics.

Looking closer I think it is there but it's covered with leafs. You might even have fish in there.

Thanks

Looking closer I think it is there but it's covered with leafs. You might even have fish in there.
Where about can u see it?

Fish would be a bonus. Did think that at first, as it had netting on, could not see any other reason for it.

Thing is could be dead now without food for a while. Think its been 18months since the owner died, and probably 8months since someone lived in the house

Thanks

Where about can u see it?

Fish would be a bonus. Did think that at first, as it had netting on, could not see any other reason for it.

Thing is could be dead now without food for a while. Think its been 18months since the owner died, and probably 8months since someone lived in the house

If you look at the right middle of the photo you can see like a raised brick built bit and it looks like a bin bag covering maybe the filter with leafs on it.

You would be suprised how long fish last and they eat anything like Algae or anything.

To get rid of all that green you would have to clean the filter out every 2 days and hope if there is one there it has a UV light as that kills the algae.

Thanks

Check the electrics out, or get them checked out. There are some real horror stories out there (the person who did the pond electrics I inherited seemed to think that a supermarket carrier bag has an IP rating).

Cheers
Richard

Thanks

Check the electrics out, or get them checked out. There are some real horror stories out there (the person who did the pond electrics I inherited seemed to think that a supermarket carrier bag has an IP rating).

Cheers
Richard

That's shocking

My solicitor has received all signed off electrical work, but will get my brother in-law to check as he's part p certified

Cheers
Richard

That's shocking

My solicitor has received all signed off electrical work, but will get my brother in-law to check as he's part p certified

Our previous occupant was advised by his estate agent to disconnect all his shed, garage and garden electrics, to avoid frightening potential buyers.

Cheers
Richard

Got the keys today and looks like all cabling to pond & outside electrics have been removed.

There's a 3-core flex cable for what looks like filter/pump which has been cut. Cables in consumer unit disconnected and taped up. I can not find how the feed gets outside.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back