Pond Planning Pains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to dig a pond in the Spring (in N Ireland, this begins in August, so I’ve plenty of time to plan :LOL: ) roughly in the red circle.

Now I’ve done this before, so basic techniques are fine, but.. in this case, ideally I’d like it up against the wall at the back, and right up to the flags on the right. Problem is I’m not sure if/how to do that. I assume here are some kind of foundations under both flags and wall…

So I think I’ll have a border, say 8” to a foot, along the bottom of the wall, lay the liner over that, and put bits of slab on top. I’m assuming the founds should be a couple of feet down at least, so just digging into muck there… but with the patio area, are the slabs laid on sand and hard core or something? I’ve never laid flags, so no experience.

If so, is it likely to go straight down, or extend under the lawn? Ideally, what I’d like to do with that edge is dig straight down next to the flags, and have liner coming straight up, vertically, to the edge of the flags, held in place by the weight of the water… but that might not work – any thoughts please? Don’t want to undermine the flags either :eek:

And, if that approach wouldn't work, what would you do? Maybe I could lay the edge of the liner over the 8” or 10” of the flags, and put planting troughs on top of it to hold it in place?

Suggestions please :notworthy:

IMAG1553.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dig it or you'll never know. I very much doubt that any foundations are going to extend far into that area and anyway you need a shallow end to let frogs out. Dig the hole, remove any large loose rocks, roots and other debris. Put a layer of sand in the bottom and around the sides. I just used builder's sand. Then lay some old carpet over the sand and up the edges lay the liner in, I doubled mine, and fill it up. The weight of the water will push the liner into the nooks and crannies. Don't worry too much about wrinkles in the liner. They will form as the water fills the hole and you wont be able to get them out. They don't look very good at first but as your pond becomes established you wont notice them. lay flags loosley around the edge to hold the liner in place and trim the liner. You can lay the sods you cut when initially digging the pond but I found they died because the liner stops them from getting enough water and nourishment. You might need to mortar the slabs together if the foundations do extend out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back