Pond pump and filter installation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My first post so be nice please :O)

I'm in the process of building a pond in my garden and i was planning to fill it tomorrow. The problem is, it just occured to me that i have nowhere to plug in my pump and filter as they are both supplied with 10m cables and the pond is atleast 20m from the house.

Help please? :O(

Sponsored Links
You'll need to provide sockets a suitable distance from the pond.

They'll need to be inside a building (e.g. shed, summerhouse) or of a type which remains weatherproof when the items are plugged in.

The cables from socket to pond must be run where they won't get damaged and won't be a trip hazard, but they should not be buried.

The cable from the house to the sockets must be of the right type and installed in the right way so that it won't get damaged - armoured cable buried at least 450mm deep and with warning tape above would be best.

The sockets should be on an RCD, but preferably not by supplying them from an RCD protected part of the house CU as that will become a pain if the appliances develop earth faults.

If you live in England or Wales all of this is notifiable, and requires Building Regulations approval before you start.

Thanks for the reply :)

Just out of interest why can't the cables from the socket to the pond be buried?

Sponsored Links
If you use properly earthed steel conduit, it is an acceptable way or running cables underground.

A piece of un earthed conduit, or any other metal pipe is not.

If steel conduit is buried in the earth, does it need to be earthed?

Or-

A suitable sized armored Cable (SWA) from the house into a weatherproof RCD socket down by the pond.

Depending upon the rating of your Pond Filter and Pump you could possibly feed the Weatherproof socket off a fused spur in the house,

Or you do it properly and put the weatherproof socket on its own MCB or RCBO. - It would be Notifiable though.

If steel conduit is buried in the earth, does it need to be earthed?

It needs to be connected to something that will ensure that in a fault condition the "something" will carry enough fault current to ensure protective devices operate within the maximum permitted time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back