Pond Pump Connection

Sponsored Links
So where would you put the transformers?

And are you aware that Part P (in fact all of the Building Regulations) applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

So the installation of your ELV pond pump and filter come within the scope of the Building Regulations, and unless all pre-fabricated with integral plug & socket connections it's notifiable.

So where would you put the transformers?

Thank you for your reply.

My idea was simply to have the transformer in the house and the pump cable connected with the supplied Tamiya connector via a hole in the wall.

But it appears you're saying this is still covered by Part P.

I'm using the information supplied by Hozelock in the 'installation and operation' leaflet supplied with their products.

Lets take the Hozelock Cascade 1000 for the example and this is what it says :-

For the standard version
http://www.hozelock.com/uploads/pdf/instructions/33442 CASC 1000.pdf

For the low voltage version
http://www.hozelock.com/uploads/pdf/instructions/33430 CASC.1000LV.pdf

Now the latter doesn't mention about being 'notifiable' although the first one does, on that basis I've assumed in my situation the low voltage version would be the best solution for me

My idea was simply to have the transformer in the house and the pump cable connected with the supplied Tamiya connector via a hole in the wall.
OK - the cable will reach, and the plug will pass through the hole in the wall?

But it appears you're saying this is still covered by Part P.
Yes, of course - the law applies to ELV installation just as much as it does LV.

I'm using the information supplied by Hozelock in the 'installation and operation' leaflet supplied with their products.
The links don't work.

Now the latter doesn't mention about being 'notifiable' although the first one does, on that basis I've assumed in my situation the low voltage version would be the best solution for me
Coming under the scope of Part P is not the same thing as being notifiable, there are exemptions from the latter. One of them is work on pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections.

It's reasonable to be a little dubious of legal advice from manufacturers who don't even know what "low voltage" legally means, but it sounds like they're right.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you can - it's a plug & socket connection, so non-notifiable.

The cable from the transformer to the pump still has to be installed safely though.

PS - re "low voltage":
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

Thank you for your input 'ban-all-sheds' (and others) your help has been most valued.

Best regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back