Pool heaters ... electric power question added

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my building a pool thread, had some suggestions on pool heating, inc. heat pump heater ...

anyway, found this on wish. No idea of type of heater, but not a silly price.

CE 11 KW Water Heater for Swimming Pool & bath tube
£229

but also on what looks like a more trustworthy website:

INTEX 2.2KW POOL HEATER FOR ABOVE GROUND POOLS

But 1/5 of the wattage, so I assume much slower to heat.
I think our plan would probably be weekend heating, not constant heating, and more to take the edge of rather than try to maintain 30 degrees.

What would be best?

And, probably a daft question, but I should get an extra pool hose now ... ? I guess these heaters don't come with hoses.

And. another daft question probably, but are all pool heaters rain proof? Or should some types be kept under a cover?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Reading the description of the CE 11Kw suggests a very dubious Chinese product, very likely to be a poor, possibly dangerous item.

The second one requires you to provide a pump and a filter in addition to the heater.

First one is a cheap Chinese import job and runs at 50A according to the blurb so would need a completely independent supply. It also raises the question, could your incoming supply cope with the demand if you are using electrical items in the house? Quite possibly not.

As I suggested in the other thread, invest in a new air heater. They cost a bit more but they really doo heat up very large pools for a fraction of the cost of an electric one and they run off a standard 13A plug. It is also weatherproof and should not be covered or enclosed as it draws the heat out of the surrounding air. Ask Google how do Air Heaters work and if they are efficient.

The second one is a bog standard one that will barely take the chill off the water. We bought a 10' x 10' self supporting pool a few weeks ago and attached a similar 2.2kw heater to it. It raised the temperature from 16C to 19 C over 24 hours. Pool is now waiting to be returned for a refund.

Thanks.

Have bought a 2.2kw heater!

Did look for air heaters but could find nothing at a sensible price.

If in the summer I can raise temperature from 20 degrees to 26 degrees in 48 hours, I'll live with that for now.

Hopefully it will be a hot summer!

Sponsored Links
Keep an eye on your electric meter readings. Before you fit the heater take a meter reading over 24 hours, then take another reading after you have had it on for 24 hours and see the difference. From that you will be able to calculate roughly how much it will cost you to run it.

Thanks. I am expecting it to hit us hard, but hopefully it will not cost more than the money we're saving in petrol each month.
Electric bills are already £25 more a month, with 2 PCs and 2 xboxes on all day, plus about 20 extra cups of tea, and an electric oven and hob cooking all these extra meals. Still cheaper than work lunches and school dinners though!

After lockdown ends it might be different. If we all decide we love pool life then I'll probably get a more efficient heater in 2021.

I've updated my Bulb prediction for June ...

pool.png

OK, I have set up the pool and looked at the filter instructions. A bit surprised to read that it should not be plugged into an extension cable. Bit of a spanner in the works! It also has a European plug with adaptor.

So, I know the best practice thing is to pay a sparky to bury a proper cable and hook up suitable outdoor sockets. But, I just spent the last of my money on an over priced paddling pool.

I have an outside double socket, and 2 extension leads. Both extension leads say they can handle 2200W.

The heater is 2200W (Intex 2.2kW Electric Pool Heater). Not idea what the filter is, I think it is this one that is 220-240 V, 50 Hz, 29 W. Pumps 2006 L (530 gallons) per hour.

This is the pool
https://www.bestwaystore.co.uk/abov...d-pools/12-x39-5-stl-pro-deluxe-pool-set.html

I am going to have to give it a go with what I have regardless, as the alternative is not going to happen this year! But I could get a new extension cable if that is likely to be better / safer.

Will need to build some sort of cover for them too...

IMG_20200608_213900901.jpg
IMG_20200608_213853037.jpg

IMG_20200608_213942894.jpg

IMG_20200608_214011554 (1).jpg

Yes, shouldn't be a problem then, unwound? They need to be unwound to reach the pool.

One of the reasons they say not to use an extension is because people don't always fully unwind them, however, there is also the danger they can get splashed if near the pool or the pool should burst.
Personally I would cut that plug off, (you need to anyway), and I would extend the cable with crimps and heat shrink, waterproof sleeving instead of using plug in extensions.

How is the cable attached to the heater itself? Would it be easy to replace it with a longer cable? You should be able to buy a 20-30m cable that will carry 2.2kw easily enough, it’s just under 10A

Just get a cable with waterproof connector. As others have said as long as it is unwound it should be ok.

I did similar but used a 2.5mm cable but then had to use a toughplug on one end.

The 2.2w heater has a big plug with what I assume is a safety cutoff included

The filter pump has a European plug. Can I literally just cut this off and put on a standard UK plug, but without an earth? Why don't Europeans plus have earth?

IMG_20200610_160601107.jpg
IMG_20200610_160604600.jpg
IMG_20200610_160819674.jpg

That is an RCD on the heater and must not be removed. It is an important safety device should something go wrong with the heater.
The European one can safely be cut off and a standard 13A plug fitted with the correct rating fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back