Pool heaters ... electric power question added

Yes, noted. But that wouldn't stop it working, would it?

Sponsored Links
New heater is working. Hopefully more than just a light!

Pool guy said we really need a proper plug socket put in too, might as well get that done - will make cutting the grass easier too.

IMG_20200615_161457996_HDR.jpg

I've asked an electrician to quote to install a new outdoor socket. I'll probably just what I have for this year, ie. the simple heater + filter in the photos, but might upgrade to air source heat pump for next year, if supplies / prices get back to normal. Pool guy suggested buying all pool stuff in Jan/Feb, as this is when prices are lowest (not just high because of lockdown!).

Anyway, would I need anything different if I go air source heat pump, or will the same double rainproof socket on a stick be OK?

Sponsored Links
Far better than 2 standard extension leads. Make sure that the covers are securely closed to prevent water getting in and the source plug, i.e. the one you are plugging into the supply socket at the house end is actually indoors or you defeat the object of waterproof sockets.
I see the cable is 1.5mm Do they do a 2.5mm as this will carry the load more safely.

Far better than 2 standard extension leads. Make sure that the covers are securely closed to prevent water getting in and the source plug, i.e. the one you are plugging into the supply socket at the house end is actually indoors or you defeat the object of waterproof sockets.
I see the cable is 1.5mm Do they do a 2.5mm as this will carry the load more safely.

My outdoor socket is watertight. I will only run this during the day when at home, or if I am forced back to the office, then I will probably run it at night. Cannot find any 2.5mm ones. With the existing the setup the first extension plug got warm, but not hot, and the socket not hot at all, and no extension cables hot. but will improve for more piece of mind.

IMG_20200608_213853037.jpg

Found this, 2.5mm, 20m

https://www.industrialextensionlead...y-13amp-25mm-cable-extension-lead-10586-p.asp

Does that look better?

I guess a lot of people do that, judging by the
Frequently bought together
61oQyL73cbL._AC_UL115_.jpg
+

+

Total price: £42.96
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-3183AG-BS6004-Approved-Outdoor/dp/B075F9RQ29

This would be good but you would also need to use the enclosure box in your other post as the lid won't close on the socket because of the RCD on the heater.
So going for your 2.5mm extension lead with the enclosure box means you could plug the heater c/w RCD into the extension and weatherproof it by closing the box properly.

This would be good but you would also need to use the enclosure box in your other post as the lid won't close on the socket because of the RCD on the heater.
So going for your 2.5mm extension lead with the enclosure box means you could plug the heater c/w RCD into the extension and weatherproof it by closing the box properly.

Yeah, so

https://www.industrialextensionlead...y-13amp-25mm-cable-extension-lead-10586-p.asp

and

https://www.industrialextensionlead...our-2-way-outdoor-extension-leads-10949-p.asp

Plugged into existing external socket, with the weather cover closed. And should be good for now?

My outdoor socket is watertight. I will only run this during the day when at home, or if I am forced back to the office, then I will probably run it at night. Cannot find any 2.5mm ones. With the existing the setup the first extension plug got warm, but not hot, and the socket not hot at all, and no extension cables hot. but will improve for more piece of mind.

View attachment 196167

2.5mm orange flex, as commonly used for caravan hook-ups, is easily found. The orange colour also makes it more obvious when laid on grass.

Yes that will be fine but only as a temporary measure until your electrician installs a proper supply closer to the pool.
How's the heating up coming along? Notice any appreciable difference yet?

How's the heating up coming along? Notice any appreciable difference yet?

Not yet, only had it on for a few hours, then the kids got in. Didn't put the heater back on as forecast was for rain and thunderstorms for the next few days, although sunny at the moment! Will put it on when new waterproof cable arrives.

I assume OK to leave running all the time, but best to turn off remove if lightning expected? Or just leave it?

Yes you can leave it running but not while people are in the pool, (not sure why but that seems to be the instructions with most heaters). Keep your pump running at all times to keep the filtration working but you can turn them off overnight. If you leave your heater running all the time expect a Thank You card from the National Grid for boosting their profits. LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back