Pool heaters ... electric power question added

Add a few mirrors to concentrate the sun onto the hose pipe

images

Odeillo solar furnace

Sponsored Links
That would need some sort of pump, to get the water up to the copper coils around the chimney - it would not make its own way up there.

The filter/pump will push it through, same way it currently pushes water through the electric heater? Or will it need more pump power?

Sponsored Links
Well, a slight improvement, 2.5mm 20m cable and box has arrived.
IMG_20200617_160243275_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200617_161509411.jpg

jonbey,
I might be wrong on this - but that plug DOES have an earth on it. It is the metal tags on the side of the socket.
My concern is that your use of an adapter means you have no earth continuity - and no RCD protection!

Adapters are frequently of poor design and with little metal (ie not 13A) and so may get hot/melt/burn.

Suggest that you cut that off plug and put on a UK plug as you earlier suggested.
SFK

Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 16.52.19.png

Last edited:
jonbey,
I might be wrong on this - but that plug does have an earth on it. It is the metal tags on the side of the socket.
My concern is that your use of an adapter means you have no earth continuity - and no RCD protection.
Suggest that you cut that off plug and put on a UK plug as you earlier suggested.
SFK

View attachment 196340

Thanks, might still do that. Just had an electrician in to take a look. If the quote is not too crazy, I will let him change the plug. Otherwise, I'll be having a go myself.

I will let him change the plug. Otherwise, I'll be having a go myself.

I think it has already been mentioned but if not..... When you cut the plug off the cable cut the cable about an inch from the plug. This will enable you to check which of the three cores are which ( Live, Neutral and Earth ) The cable may not have Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow cores.

I might be wrong on this - but that plug DOES have an earth on it. It is the metal tags on the side of the socket.

As I mentioned back in post 16.

Electricity + water + outside + children + high current + things with the wrong plugs + adaptors.... it’s all a recipe for disaster.

Just checked things. Plug normal temperature, pool warmish. I'd say swimmable for weedy adult. Thermometer says 26 degrees.
Turned heating off now. Took about 10 hours to get to a nice temperature during the day, was bit sunny, bit overcast today.
So plan is to turn heater on on Friday nights for a nice weekend of swimming, then off Sunday lunchish, or after last swim on a Sunday.
Won't break the bank. Kids will use it anytime - assuming they don't get too used to the warmer option!

Last edited:
Well turned the heater off last night Just shoved my arm in the pool and still not cold like it was when first filled, mild night must have helped maintain some warmth.

Pool a bit full though. the tarp didn't work too well, need a plan B.

2" thick polystyrene will float on the surface and help considerably to keep the heat in. Its cheap, easily cut, but might be messy.

But that won't stop rain filling the pool too much. Can these pools be completely filled? I thought they shouldn't be full ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back