Pool heaters ... electric power question added

The filter pump has a European plug. Can I literally just cut this off and put on a standard UK plug, but without an earth? Why don't Europeans plus have earth?

The plug in your picture does have an earth, it’s the metal strip in the side.

You should proceed with caution. This product wasn’t intended for the UK market. Consider employing an electrician. Water and electricity do not mix!

Sponsored Links
Filter and heater plugged in. Filter working fine, but heater not coming on.

Plug shows on, pressed reset / test, and that works, pressed reset again.
Turn heater onto I
But not red light on heater, no sign of warm water coming out of it.

Dud heater? Cannot see anything out of place. Troubleshooter suggests water flow too slow, but seems pretty good to me.

IMG_20200615_120557907_HDR.jpg

Do you have a thermometer? If so take a reading from somewhere away from the inlet. Then place the thermometer as close as possible to the water inlet and see if there is any difference. A digital one with decimal places would be ideal because I don't think you are going see a big difference with a standard one. Bear in mind your heater is 2.2Kw(?) and a standard kettle is around the 2.8 - 3.0Kw mark and look how long they take to heat up a few litres. As soon as the warmed water hits the larger area of cold in the pool it is going to plummet back down again.

As I said very early on, I'm afraid you are never going to get that sized pool up to a decent temperature with that type of heater. An air heater is the only way to go.

Yeah, but you'd expect the water to come out a bit warmer to the touch, surely? And red light didn't come on. Was not convinced it was working at all!

Trying to find a better heater, struggling.

Sponsored Links
Check the connections in your plug or at the heater itself. There may be a loose one or a wire may have been trapped by the insulation.

All cables looked OK. Have requested a replacement or return.
My son wants to get in the pool now anyway, need to build the ladder.

not sure if this would make a difference but if you rewired the plug are your live and neutral the right way around?

Actually Jonbey, if I recall, the heater had an RCD fitted didn't it?
If the RCD is setting, but not tripping, then I suspect there may well be something wrong with the heater which is not actually causing a fault. i.e. you have an open circuit on the heater.
Is there any way you can get a bowl of water, such as a baby bath, begin to syphon the water through the heater, turn the heater on and see if you feel any difference in the temperature that way? Long shot but if may show that it is or is not working. You have got the flow directions the right way I assume?

I didn't rewire anything. The pool filter has the euro plug, and that is working fine. No sign of anything getting hot.

The heater has a big RCD plug which I didn't touch either.

Actually Jonbey, if I recall, the heater had an RCD fitted didn't it?
If the RCD is setting, but not tripping, then I suspect there may well be something wrong with the heater which is not actually causing a fault. i.e. you have an open circuit on the heater.
Is there any way you can get a bowl of water, such as a baby bath, begin to syphon the water through the heater, turn the heater on and see if you feel any difference in the temperature that way? Long shot but if may show that it is or is not working. You have got the flow directions the right way I assume?

Already boxed up and waiting for an exchange. Hopefully swapping today - the seller lives not too far and is keen I think not to get negative reviews - bought on ebay (new).

Hopefully replacement will work.

Last edited:
Can you run some water through with a hosepipe to check if it is the flow?

not sure if this would make a difference but if you rewired the plug are your live and neutral the right way around?

Will not make any difference to the amount of heat produced, but could have an impact on the safe operation.

A solid fuel heater would be much faster, I saw one years ago using a back boiler (?) that had been recovered recovered from the house renovation.

This is could be a better way

Will not make any difference to the amount of heat produced, but could have an impact on the safe operation.

A solid fuel heater would be much faster, I saw one years ago using a back boiler (?) that had been recovered recovered from the house renovation.

This is could be a better way

I saw that too, looks very sensible. Maybe a longer term solution... need to get warm asap so we can start using though.

Did you note this warning?
NOTE: this item is not suitable for use with extension leads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back