Poor CS from VW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Relating to my other VW post here....

I have found a couple of hitches when fault-finding on the Golf. The fuse layout diagram does not relate to the actual fusebox, the fuse for the leccy windows is not to be found, and the handbook does not list the correct fuse size for each circuit.

VW CS are hopeless. All I want is to know the fuse rating for each circuit, which fuse is which (a bit tricky when the fusebox layout does not equate to what is on the plan), and a pointer to which fuse is the electric windows. Sure, in the handbook there is a helpful symbol denoting EW, but it does not appear on the fusebox diagram....

They tell me that they do not give Joe Public the information about fuse ratings as they want customers to go to a VAG dealer in case there is an underlying problem. Where have we heard that one before?

My arguement is that VW should EITHER tell customers the correct circuit ratings OR mention in the handbook their above get-out clause. They do neither. I tried to explain that if someone was to replace the fuse, how would they know which was the correct size?

For example, imagine the previous owner had a fuse-blowing problem and replaced it with a larger one, twice the size, then the new owner will replace that fuse with one of the same value, assuming the old one is the correct size.

Sponsored Links
Do you have access to a Haynes manual for the Golf? Though not perfect these tomes usually have the sort of leccy details you seem to be in search of.

Sadly, no, but I need some tech info so I'll try the library

Sponsored Links
Sadly, I too have no end of bother with VW agents - their level of customer service has to be experienced to be believed.

Recently took my Sharan in for a 50,000 mile service, asked for the wiper blades to be renewed, rear washer to be reconnected (the pipe had come adrift in the passenger footwell) and oil consumption to be looked at (1 gallon every 10,000 miles - hardly worth bothering changing it at the service as it is 'self-renewing'.....)

Having arrived home, I found that the service book had not been stamped and the service indicator had not been reset. They had, however, kindly written all over the owners manual where it advises that 1 litre of oil every 1000 km is not unusual, and therefore my oil usage issues were within expectations.

I asked the dealer to complete my service book and said book was duly sent to them for stamping. I needed to go back for the service indicator to be reset.

2 weeks later they telephoned to advise that my car had never been in their workshop - how then, did they explain the new wiper blades, the scribble all over the manual and the fact I had used their courtesy car all day?

Turns out that they never actually did the service - spent the whole day (!) replacing wiper blades and checking for an oil leak, and still kept me waiting from 5.30pm to 6.00pm as 'your car isn't quite finished, sir......'

This is, sadly, not an isolated incident - I use various VW agents around the north west and they are universally dreadful - I have now vowed never to have another VW.

Back