Poor dry verge installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having all fascias, soffits, guttering replacing and a dry verge system. Concerned that this is a rushed job.

I believe these are the instructions for the dry verge fitted:

I am no expert but:

- screwed directly into the fascia board no battens?
- No starter cap used.
- Doesn't sit flush to the fascia as there is clearly a huge gap
- Not even sure mortar is removed, think they have just stuck these over the top.

Additionally should there be a sealant between the fascia board and brickwork as it doesn't look as though one is applied.

Attachments

• IMG_9470.jpg
    IMG_9470.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_9469.jpg
    IMG_9469.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_9468.jpg
    IMG_9468.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Note, I'm a DIY'er so my feedback shouldn't be considered professional advice. However the omission of the starter cap isn't right. It serves a number of purposes including keeping wildlife out. I think it would also have helped strengthen that area (the part you're moving about in he video.)

I also don't think the gap running on the underside can be right. My understanding is when replacing a wet with a dry verge system, there's usually a degree of prep work that needs done to the edge of the roof construction to then properly accept the dry verge system. This ensures no gaps and overall robustness and integrity of the installation.

To me it looks like a bit of a bodge however others on here are more qualified to advise.

The verge should be clipped together and fixed to the end of the tile batten, a starter end cap screwed the the barge and first verge clipped to it. The verges should be tight to the bargeboard and run straight..looks like some of the verge pieces barely overlap the tile.
Makes for a better job if a continuous bead of silicone is applied to junction between wall and soffit...also prevents insects entering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back