Poor hot water pressure - dishwasher not working.

the flow rate through the tap is probably due to the tap, ikea are s**t. imagine running a hose pipe and the waters not running that fast nip the end hey presto its an illusion less flow more pressure but you'll think its great cause its firing out.

Yes it could well be due to the tap. Though it isn't a tap from Ikea, as far as I know. It could be, it's one that we were given, and have had stored for a while and just used now.

Sponsored Links
cheaper to run from the cold supply and let the appliance heat the water, then you dont fill how ever many meters of hot pipework with hot water that wont get used.
Also better washing performance as hot water will set the proteins in egg residue etc making them more difficult to shift. That's why the first stage of a dishwasher cycle, even those that accept seperate hot and cold supplies, is always a cold rinse.

Furthermore, given that modern dishwasher detergents rely on contact time, rather than the abrasion like those of yesteryear, if the machine relies on the heating time of the cold water to determine adequate wash time the cycle will be prematurely curtailed if you are filling it with hot water from the outset.

Of course, there is the issue of heating the water using (more expensive) electricity rather than gas but given the relatively small amounts of water concerned the difference is likely minimal.

Mathew

Thank you Mathew for all of the points that you make about the reasons why dishwashers need a cold water supply. That's very helpful, as I see now that it isn't simply a question of whether it's cheaper to heat the water with gas or with electricity. I've noticed that dishwasher cycles are much longer than they used to be, and this helps to explain why.

Many Thanks,
David.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone who took time to reply. I've just plumbed the dishwasher into the cold water supply and it's now working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back