Poor pressure from thermostatic mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have just replaced the shower mixer in one of our bathrooms with this

http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...ic-Bar-Valve-Bottom-Outlet-Chrome-VBS001.aspx

The hot water pressure out of tap is excellent - just had a new 40kw combi installed delivering 16lpm. Pressure out of the mixer is okay but not what it could be.

Is it because the mixer is cheap? We have 2 more to fit and am wondering about trying more expensive mixers if this is cheap? If not, has anyone any idea if it can be adjusted?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
What size and type of shower head?

By pressure, do you mean flow? Have you measured it?

In any case, a combination boiler with 3 bathrooms is a total fail.

Hi

It's a 10cm diameter shower head, not sure of the make. Fairly cheap though, about £15 for the head.

There are only two of us in the house so combi boiler is fine - the boiler easily supports two showers at the same time, but my question was more about whether anyone had an opinion on whether a cheap thermostatic mixer can affect the pressure?

Where did you measure 16l/m?
Where is this shower head in relation to that? What can your boiler output: temp/litres per minute?
Are you evaluating shower output whilst additional draw offs are being used?

Sponsored Links
as already advised its flow rate you are talking about, you need to measure it pressure means nothing

OK, so kitchen sink flow rate is 10.5l/m @ about 60 degrees C. Shower flow rate is 6.6l/m @ same temperature.

Might be your hoses especially if it came with a cheap head.

Cheap ones tend to be really narrow bore which is restrictive. You can get wide bore ones to replace.

OK, so kitchen sink flow rate is 10.5l/m @ about 60 degrees C. Shower flow rate is 6.6l/m @ same temperature.

And where is shower outlet in relation to kitchen sink? Height in approx meters?

Thanks everyone for input - did some more testing and...

I think that it could be the shower head.. Measuring the rates has led me to determine:

10l/m directly from mixer.
10l/m from end of hose (without head on).
6.6l/m from shower head.

Cheap shower head! Can anyone recommend a shower head that will output 10l/m? It seems that none of them specify a rating for the flow rate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back