1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Thermostatic shower valve - controls working in reverse

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by skattrd, 5 Dec 2013.

1. skattrd

skattrd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    I've just been doing a bit of work in the bathroom and have replaced the thermostatic shower bar. All I did was remove the old and connect the new one, exactly the same as the old one.

The shower works, however the controls seem to work in reverse. When I turn the knob to go above 38C it gets colder and when I turn the knob for colder it gets hotter. The switch to turn it on/off also seems to be working backwards as well.

The new one is a Premier vbs001 - like this one: http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...ic-Bar-Valve-Bottom-Outlet-Chrome-VBS001.aspx

Any suggestions on what to do/what I should have done?

2. kbdiy

kbdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can you post a pic of yours?

3. skattrd

skattrd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I didn't realise before, but as I went to take pics I noticed the old one worked the opposite way round to the new one ...

Is it possible for me to get the new one to work the way it should do or do I need to return it for one that works the same as the old one?

4. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The on/off would work the way it's supposed to as that's just an on/off tap, the hot/cold temp thermostat though needs the hot and cold feed pipes to be entering into the bar on the correct sides. The only cause for the symptoms you describe IMO, are that the pipes are not the correct way round.
    Not every bar mixer is the same, they can have the hot and cold feeds on different sides.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    turn it upside down.

6. skattrd

skattrd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did contemplate that, but then I wouldn't be able to see the controls and the hose would be going the wrong way.

Feed is hot left, cold right, which I assumed to be standard.

Looking at different valves, could anyone suggest one that should work the correct way round? or would I be better off playing with the pipework a bit and switching the hot & cold around? Changing the feed pipe's shouldn't be too difficult, they're just tee'd off the bath feed and exposed under the bath.

7. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think you answered your own question there. If you can swap the pipework then it's no brainer IMO

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. skattrd

skattrd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the help guys, feeds switched over and it's no controllable as it should be.

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local