Thermostatic shower valve - controls working in reverse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've just been doing a bit of work in the bathroom and have replaced the thermostatic shower bar. All I did was remove the old and connect the new one, exactly the same as the old one.

The shower works, however the controls seem to work in reverse. When I turn the knob to go above 38C it gets colder and when I turn the knob for colder it gets hotter. The switch to turn it on/off also seems to be working backwards as well.

The new one is a Premier vbs001 - like this one: http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...ic-Bar-Valve-Bottom-Outlet-Chrome-VBS001.aspx

Any suggestions on what to do/what I should have done?

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise before, but as I went to take pics I noticed the old one worked the opposite way round to the new one ...

Is it possible for me to get the new one to work the way it should do or do I need to return it for one that works the same as the old one?

The on/off would work the way it's supposed to as that's just an on/off tap, the hot/cold temp thermostat though needs the hot and cold feed pipes to be entering into the bar on the correct sides. The only cause for the symptoms you describe IMO, are that the pipes are not the correct way round.
Not every bar mixer is the same, they can have the hot and cold feeds on different sides.

Sponsored Links
turn it upside down.

I did contemplate that, but then I wouldn't be able to see the controls and the hose would be going the wrong way.

Feed is hot left, cold right, which I assumed to be standard.

Looking at different valves, could anyone suggest one that should work the correct way round? or would I be better off playing with the pipework a bit and switching the hot & cold around? Changing the feed pipe's shouldn't be too difficult, they're just tee'd off the bath feed and exposed under the bath.

I have a thermostatic tap with shower attachment. It has been dripping recently, so I took the feed side apart (just the on/off), cleaned the slightly scaled control and put it back together. Since then, the temperature control side has been working in reverse. It's fine at the locked 38 degrees, but the direction that used to make it hotter, makes it colder. Any reason for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back