Poor Pressure on Allotment water supply

You should get a flow measure at the suppliers stop cock... They should have done both a pressure and a flow check at that point - before you begin investigating problems your side of the meter!

Severn Trent did a pressure at the BB and said the pressure etc was very good, so we are going to replace our own internal stop cock next in case any problems with this, it really us quite baffling

Sponsored Links
You needed both a static pressure and a flow measurement at the meter position in order to work out what the problem is!

Sounds like you are going to be replacing things blindly without knowing what the problem is!

Tony

He said he couldnt do that at the meter as its on our land, We are limited to what we can do as we have a very limited budget. It easy to say do tests but these tests cost money which we dont have a lot of.

I hear what your saying about replacing things blindly, but to get a plumbert to come and scratch he head and charge us for a few hours work which probably wouldnt achieve anything

The flow and pressure dropping off sounds like you have a crushed pipe further upstream, I have no idea how your pipes are run but what you have to do is find the upstream point where you have good flow and pressure and work from there, is there any taps further upstream that work properly ?

Sponsored Links
It does not make any sense but he seems to be saying taps further away from the meter work better!

I think thats to do with the futhest tap being downhill from the supply.

something don't make sense in op's answers unless he's missed something obvious but hard to say without being there

He said he couldnt do that at the meter as its on our land, We are limited to what we can do as we have a very limited budget. It easy to say do tests but these tests cost money which we dont have a lot of.

I hear what your saying about replacing things blindly, but to get a plumbert to come and scratch he head and charge us for a few hours work which probably wouldnt achieve anything

It shouldn't cost money to get the board to "confirm" that they are supplying you what you are paying for! Have you asked them what the flow and pressure of their remit is? If it's below that "at the meter" then it's down to them to resolve! If it's as it should be on their side of the meter, then the problem is yours to resolve!

It shouldn't cost money to get the board to "confirm" that they are supplying you what you are paying for! Have you asked them what the flow and pressure of their remit is? If it's below that "at the meter" then it's down to them to resolve! If it's as it should be on their side of the meter, then the problem is yours to resolve!

The meter is about 10 meters down Hill from our boundary box. They say as its our property it's for us to resolve

Id be arguing that!
How are you supposed to isolate the supply, to investigate/repair, if the issue is "upstream" of the meter!? - Ask them that one ;)

The flow and pressure dropping off sounds like you have a crushed pipe further upstream, I have no idea how your pipes are run but what you have to do is find the upstream point where you have good flow and pressure and work from there, is there any taps further upstream that work properly ?

We don't have good flow or pressure really on our taps. The one nearest the meter (and the boundary box) is rubbish. You turn it on and get good pressure etc for about 10 seconds.then it goes to a stutter n runs slow.

Turn it back on 5 minutes later and the pressure is still rubbish with no sign of early good pressure.

I know it sounds confusing. Someone mentioned a crushed pipe, I guess this could be very close to start of our supply

Tell the supplier that you want "their" meter moved to outside your boundary or confirmation that, if on your property, they are responsible for "their side" of it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back