Poor workmanship on tiling floor? (pics attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I buy, renovate and resell properties. I also fit bathrooms, kitchens and general work for other customers in between. What do you do Jefoss? You surely aren't a tiler with those methods. You haven't even grasped the basics.

I buy, renovate and resell properties. I also fit bathrooms, kitchens and general work for other customers in between. What do you do Jefoss? You surely aren't a tiler with those methods. You haven't even grasped the basics.

oh ok ty for answering with total lies, but there you go, so you claiming to be a plasterer was false?

you claiming to be a plumber was false?

you seem to have forgot that your a checkout girl at b and q?

and no joe you wont wind me up by saying anything as stupid as you did about my job. you know for a fact what i do.

Fundamentally, we had three quotes , all from tilers recommended by the same large tiling shop.
Fundamentally, I suspect that you've made as assumption. I've never yet seen a trade or retail outlet that recommends the traders that put cards up on a board or in a card holder.

If you ask, or look carefully where you saw these tilers' cards, I expect you'll hear or see a disclaimer to that effect.

What you've done is look in the shop equivalent of the yellow pages.

If you wanted a recommended tiler, it would have been better to ask around your friends to find someone who's been happy with a tiling job that they've had done.

This guy has been tiling for 32 years.
The he should know better. Judging by the one tile alone in the last picture of the series, it's a poor job.

I find it hard to accept that £380 for one days work plus two hours grouting (which i could have done better myself) is not a fair days pay.
What you paid has nothing to do with anything. I can show you a few good tilers who charge peanuts, and plenty of idiots who charge a fortune.

All of our other trades have been excellent.
Did you also find them from cards on a wall?

should we expect to remove and relay where possible or does the whole lot have to come up.
You've said that nearly all the joints are wrong, so I would take up the whole lot.

The tiles cost 1500 quid plus 180 grout and adhesive plus 380 to tile.
In that case you'll want to be very careful when you take them up.

Who foots the bill for all this...is he likely to be insured for such a thing.
He's unlikely to be insured for bad workmanship, and he's unlikely to be cooperative in redoing the job and buying you new tiles where they break in getting them up. You'd be better off getting a decent tiler to do the work, or just putting it down to experience.

Sponsored Links

oh ok ty for answering with total lies, but there you go, so you claiming to be a plasterer was false?

you claiming to be a plumber was false?

you seem to have forgot that your a checkout girl at b and q?

and no joe you wont wind me up by saying anything as stupid as you did about my job. you know for a fact what i do.

What I've told you is true. All of it. The fact that you don't believe me doesn't worry me in the slightest. I don't know what you do for a living, but if it is tiling then you'd better get up to speed and start using the correct practices. (level the substrate first - then tiling is a doddle.)

Okay to my surprise ive come home tonight to see a considerable improvement.
Mrs Festive removed all the grout with this great little tool (bosch pmf180e) so all he had to do was take up the 8 or so poorly laid tiles (they all had to be smashed to be taken up) chisel away the old adhesive (with my SDS drill) then lay new tiles.

And they are a considerable improvement, it's not perfect but it's corrected the worst of the tiles. Grout still drying tonight.

So Joe90 im afraid you're wrong, it seemed to be down to him having a bad day or just possibly being a bit slack in his work, because the tiles he laid today are all dead level.

Goldberg the owner of our local tiler shop handed us a card saying "this is the guy that tiled my house!".... possibly not a legal recommendation but as near as, yes some of our other tradesmen were referals but none of them knew of a tiler afaik.
If we took the whole lot up i don't recon we would of seen him again, i mean we were already out of pocket by i guess £140 for the 8 or so tiles he had to smash to lay new ones (reserved for our ensuite and 30m2 was min order from tile shop)
You could tell he wasn't a bad bloke he meant well, at least he put 2 days extra in to fix what he fcked up, just a shame he didn't put his back into it to start with, as he proved today he can tile.

So Joe90 im afraid you're wrong, it seemed to be down to him having a bad day or just possibly being a bit slack in his work, because the tiles he laid today are all dead level.

I'm very glad you've got it sorted but it shouldn't have happened at all. It's dead basic. You level your floor and you can't 'lose it' half way. Glad it worked out for you.

im sick of hearing about the floor being level, if we were all as fussy to work just on totally level surfaces we would all be out of work and not earn a single penny. i once tiled a indoor car showroom floor 200m2 and i had to use 25x 20kg of self levelling to get the floor some where near straight, it took about half a day to sort out, but if it meant losing a 4k job because the floor wasnt bang on then who would be the fool for a couple of hours work!!!!

Don't be silly. Proper prepping saves you time and hassle - ask the OP.

but costs the op a lot more money and as a tiler in these recession time if it takes you a couple of hours more to allow for unevenness then so be it, like i said who would be a fool loose say a £600/£800 for a couple of extra hours.

so its ok when you say it but when i have its wrong?

get a grip joe. read back ive said all along if the tiler thought the floor wasnt right why tile onto it?

It's not easy to achieve perfection laying large format tiles like yours, it's a lot harder finding someone who can do the job perfectly, people who leave their business cards lying about everywhere tend not to be that great. Phone him and bring him back, but I fear the best you'll get is your £380 back. good luck

If you contract a guy to give you a tiled floor then that is correct, the burden of responsibility lies with him. However, if you EMPLOY a guy to lay YOUR tiles on YOUR floor - then you are the employer - and thus the responsibility is yours.

Joe - you clearly do not understand the difference between a contract for Services and a contract of employment.

about time this thread was locked come on mods the op has all he needs to know and is happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back