Poor workmanship on tiling floor? (pics attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sack the project manager. If he can't lay a straight edge onto a floor before asking a tiler to tile on it then the shouldn't be doing the job. Sorry - but you really did ask for it. You level the floor THEN lay the tiles. You were the boss - he was your employee.

Joe you are talking through your hat mate,if a tiler of 32 years experience cant be bothered to check the substrate himself before starting the job then he should look for other employment.
Your basically saying that if the surface isnt prefect then its ok for the tiler to leave a poor job :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and as I previously said any DECENT tiler will be able to level up anyway.

Sponsored Links
If you don't level the floor then you are in cowboy country. It's not a 5ft bathroom - it's 24 sq metres, the tiles are massive. The chances of getting that right by sheer chance is slim. You LEVEL the floor - THEN you tile. Go back to basics mate.

Joe Ive tiled swimming pool aprons that were miles out and hallways into living rooms well in excess of 20sqm and brought them all up level.
I also tiled bathrooms in a massive bungalow where a true pro tiler of 30 plus years experience tiled 84sqm of uneven floor to almost flawless levels.

Im sorry Joe but you have only proved what Gcol and Jeff have been saying for ages,you dont have a clue regarding tiling :rolleyes: ;)

Now dont waste you breath mate cause I wont be acknowleging anything you have to say :!:

Yeah sure mate. :rolleyes:

//www.diynot.com/pages/fs/fs001.php

...and this is what Gareth (gcol) has to say on the matter.

"How good is your floor? If it's uneven then the smaller the tile, the easier it will be to lay and the edges of the tiles won't kick up. However, the smaller the tile, the longer they take to fit. For large tiles you need a very flat floor. You can easily test how flat your wall is by putting a 1.5 metre long straight piece of timber on it. You don't want any large gaps under the straight edge or you'll have to fill them with adhesive when you fix the tiles. If this is the case, levelling the floor with self levelling compound is advisable.
If you're tiling outdoors, then you should use porcelain tiles because they don't absorb as much water as regular tiles, therefore, they aren't as susceptible to cracking at freezing temperatures."

Sponsored Links
I've given it to him. Anyone that lets someone lay 24 sq metres of tiles that are 600mm x 600mm on a wonky floor is no project manager. The floor needs LEVELLING - then you tile. Why don't you know that?

your full of it joe, any regular here knows FACTUALLY you dont know what your talking about, your best efforts are sla*ging off work and people and then googling specs, this is not what people are after at all.

people come for advice, they can sometimes get a few different views and then your googled works.

its clear to see your main efforts are for arguing with regulars, i have no idea why, maybe you were bullied as a child, did you get rejected for the police? mroe than likely, an ex traffic warden who now works part time at b and q and is bitter that his life is almost over and havent lived a day in his life.

if you would like to start again joe and read that the op is an IT boff. not a project manager. if thats how you talk to your customers no wonder you need to take it out on people here, all that vented anger cant be good for you, its heart attack city coming.

good luck joe.

Sack the project manager. If he can't lay a straight edge onto a floor before asking a tiler to tile on it then the shouldn't be doing the job. Sorry - but you really did ask for it. You level the floor THEN lay the tiles. You were the boss - he was your employee.
Seeing as its getting late and im losing my tolerance to people wanting a bit of attention on here, i may as well reply to this loser, although i guess mum has tucked him into bed long ago.

PM's manage projects correct? My partner has done a dam good job managing this extension, but it's somewhat reliant on honest tradesmen, when we're told the screed is 'dead flat' then 3 tilers quote and not one queried the level of the floor, you sort of take the assumption it must be level and even? We hired a tiler to tile the floor, which includes being able to make a decision on wether such surface is suitable or not.
I wouldn't build a pc on a ****ed hard disk id check it first! And thats if i was being paid 30 or £300 pounds.

Jefoss, yes i asked him why when he thought the floor was uneven did he not call me. He said "well it was a bit late before i realised as i was already halfway through"

Honestly though, i think the issue is just poorly laid, ive checked the lounge (done by same screeder) with a 2metre level and it's pretty dam good, there's a slight gradient, he warned me about but it's very flat.

In tilers defence he's trying to sort it, but ive lost all confidence. We argued over a tile earlier which i felt was impossible to rectify as the tiles either side were at different levels, which meant you would of had to twist the tile to be flush both ends, no digging out of the floor would rectify that imho.
Life is more important than this i know!!! Its just the principle, i saved up £1500 to have our kitchen floor perfect, and it's far from it.

keep calm, ignore joe

words to live by!

what bothers me by the tilers statement about the floor is he thought half way through it was no good, if this was the case he could have pulled up the tiles already laid, yes means going backwards in a job but hour or 2 into a job easier than days weeks after job to rectify it

i totally understand your loss of confidence, i only hope you get it sorted, but i fear you have more hassle coming your way

I'm sorry folks but like it or not tiling an uneven floor is cowboy country, You DON'T do it. You level the floor and check it and check it again. With tiles that size an imperfection the size of a grain of rice will throw the level way out. Try it. Sit a tile on the table and then sit a grain of rice underneath it and watch it wobble.

There is nothing you can do now other than pull up the whole floor; skip your existing tiles, clean off the adhesive and LEVEL the floor. Then (and only then) you lay the tiles. If the floor is LEVEL (perfectly level) it's virtually impossible to get a floor that isn't perfect.

If you don't follow my advice then you'll end up with yet another bodge job.

Ignore what the forum prima donnas tell you - you DON'T tile an uneven floor with extra large tiles. It's just plain tiling madness.

Legally you employed the guy to lay your tiles on your floor. That's what he did. The result is what you'd expect from an uneven floor with massive tiles.

Legally you employed the guy to lay your tiles on your floor. That's what he did. The result is what you'd expect from an uneven floor with massive tiles.

Joe is wrong again - you will note that none of the regular posters are surprised.

You employ a tradesman because he is supposed to know what he is doing.

As far as Sale of Goods & Services legislation goes you are paying for the work to be done with "reasonable care and skill" (the requirements of the Act).

By agreeing to replace tiles the tiler has admitted that he did not do this - if he thought it was OK he would still be arguing. This has also been confirmed by the opinions of several professional tilers who contribute on here.

If you don't follow my advice then you'll end up with yet another bodge job.

Ignore what the forum prima donnas tell you - you DON'T tile an uneven floor with extra large tiles. It's just plain tiling madness.

such an idiot.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, rough work to say the least.

It appears that the guy with 30 odd years experience has gotten a bit lazy in his old age.

If you contract a guy to give you a tiled floor then that is correct, the burden of responsibility lies with him. However, if you EMPLOY a guy to lay YOUR tiles on YOUR floor - then you are the employer - and thus the responsibility is yours.

Simple really. However, he did it all wrong because he didn't LEVEL the floor.

No professional tiler would be so stupid. Ergo the guy was a cowboy - and anyone that agrees with his methods is a cowboy too.

It absolutely basic tiling. You level the floor then you lay the tiles.

It does depends how far out the walls/floor are, I have tiled walls that were like a rock face and still got better results than that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back