Popped screws in dry lined ceiling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I really hope you guys can help me...

I've got popped screws in my dry lined ceiling. its pretty much all of them. i've been filling them as they pop but this is getting a little tedious! short of having the whole ceiling re-done. what repairs would you sugggest?

As the screws are popping right through i would say that were not taped to begin with! would simply removing the filler and taping and re-filling solve the issue?

thank you in advance for any help you can offer :)

Sponsored Links
There should be no need to tape the screws, although those on teh joints will have a tape or scrim on them.

There are two usual causes (that come to my mind) -

1 The screws are not screwed with the board held tight to the joists/MF etc . This allows the board to move up and down , but the screw stays in place. As the board moves up the screw is effectively pushed through and thus pops the plaster.

Check if there is any play in the board by seeing if you can move it by pushing it up .If there is put in some extra screws and tighten the exisitn screws, being careful not to over do it so that they go through the board.

2 Something is banging or moving the ceiling, usually fomr above, and the impact is being transferred through the screws thus blowing the plaster on them.

If teh screws are tight enough and there is no movement or banging, then it should be okay to merely fill them/rub them down.

Screws have a very small cone shaped surface to hold the boards up with so I suggest you use some galvanised clouts to give added strength. They have a large flat head and thus are much less likely to 'pop'.

Sponsored Links
I had a problem with some of the screw heads popping through on a double boarded ceiling.

I used a some washers designed for Wedi cement boards. The plasterer just taped and skimmed.

If it has already been skimmed then you could tape and use some jointing compound to feather out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back